Proving change from tenants in common to joint tenants

AMEAME

Jan 31, 2024
Hi all,

My uncle has dementia and his wife is said to have changed their house ownership from tenants in common to joint tenants to protect assets. I understand this to be a common thing to do.

I also understand that the notice has to be served on the person with dementia even though they might not understand what it is it. My question is what needs to be done to prove it was served and therefore this was done properly in case it is contested later on?

Does anyone know if something like this has ever been contested before and if it was upheld?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My uncle has dementia and his wife is said to have changed their house ownership from tenants in common to joint tenants to protect assets. I understand this to be a common thing to do

Did you mean the other way round?

I also understand that the notice has to be served on the person with dementia even though they might not understand what it is it. My question is what needs to be done to prove it was served and therefore this was done properly in case it is contested later on?
Send it them by recorded mail.
Get an independent witness to sign a document confirming you handed them the document.
Get it severed by a conveyancer.

It's hard to contest because it does not require other owner's consent.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alix0463