"Proof" of diagnosis

watjam01

Mar 11, 2022
Hi all,

Hope you might be able to help.

Mum has received a provisional diagnosis of FTD (behavioural variant) over the past few weeks which has hit our family pretty hard but we're now in the right place to get things moving along with some more of the practical things that need sorting; benefits, council tax exemption etc.

We are still awaiting on the results of an MRI scan to see how far along we are with this which I believe we'll hear about at an appointment in mid-November.

She's only 64 and has had to stop working due to the challenges associated with FTD so we're keen to get any financial support in place as soon as possible. With this in mind, is it typically a "doctor's note" I should be requesting from her GP to confirm her diagnosis and do you think I should be asking for this know even though we haven't got scan results just yet? I just don't want to keep pushing it back further especially now she isn't working.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Last edited:

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hi all,

Hope you might be able to help.

Mum has received a provisional diagnosis of FTD (behavioural variant) over the past few weeks which has hit out family pretty hard but we're now in the right place to get things moving along with some more of the practical things that need sorting; benefits, council tax exemption etc.

We are still awaiting on the results of an MRI scan to see how far along we are with this which I believe we'll hear about at an appointment in mid-November.

She's only 64 and has had to stop working due to the challenges associated with FTD so we're keen to get any financial support in place as soon as possible. With this in mind, is it typically a "doctor's note" I should be requesting from her GP to confirm her diagnosis and do you think I should be asking for this know even though we haven't got scan results just yet? I just don't want to keep pushing it back further especially now she isn't working.

Any help would be really appreciated.
The best way forward is to ask for a letter for which you may be charged a fee from the actual consultant who has diagnosed her FTD. A GP's note is not the same thing, but failing a consultant letter your GP can write a letter again you may be asked to pay a fee.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The benefits you should be applying for are ESA and PIP. Neither of these are means tested and both can be applied for without a firm diagnosis. I would get Age UK, Citizens Advice or a Carers Organisation to help in filling in these forms as, especially with PIP, it is very easy to underreport her difficulties - you have to fill it in assuming it is the very worst day.

There may be other, means tested benefits, that she would be eligible for and these organisations can advise about this too. As shes quite close to retirement, would she be able to be medically retired? It is worth asking HR about this.

Once she is getting PIP then she can apply for Council Tax disregard

watjam01

Mar 11, 2022
The best way forward is to ask for a letter for which you may be charged a fee from the actual consultant who has diagnosed her FTD. A GP's note is not the same thing, but failing a consultant letter your GP can write a letter again you may be asked to pay a fee.
Perfect thanks @Palerider - I'm going to see if I can get something from the consultant ahead of the November appointment otherwise it may just need to wait until then!

watjam01

Mar 11, 2022
The benefits you should be applying for are ESA and PIP. Neither of these are means tested and both can be applied for without a firm diagnosis. I would get Age UK, Citizens Advice or a Carers Organisation to help in filling in these forms as, especially with PIP, it is very easy to underreport her difficulties - you have to fill it in assuming it is the very worst day.

There may be other, means tested benefits, that she would be eligible for and these organisations can advise about this too. As shes quite close to retirement, would she be able to be medically retired? It is worth asking HR about this.

Once she is getting PIP then she can apply for Council Tax disregard
Thanks @canary - really helpful - I assumed it would be ESA and PIP so I'll get the ball rolling with Age UK / CAB etc to see how they can support with getting those forms filled in!