Progressive Aphasia

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
My husband has Alzheimer's and Progressive Aphasia. His speech is getting worse he manages one word answers now. I'm noticing he doesn't seem to understand what I'm talking about sometimes. He is also very deaf but used to know what I was talking about. He has been diagnosed for 4 years, I'm wondering if it's the Aphasia causing this because it's getting worse.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Aphasia doesnt just mean that you lose speech - it means that you lose language, so not only are you unable to speak, you dont understand the speech that you hear. Has anyone suggested that you go to a speech therapist to try alternative means of communication?

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
Aphasia doesnt just mean that you lose speech - it means that you lose language, so not only are you unable to speak, you dont understand the speech that you hear. Has anyone suggested that you go to a speech therapist to try alternative means of communication?
Interesting.....my mum is very hard of hearing but I've noticed that she is not understanding my words now. How does this progress as she speaks well at the present time.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
My wife has Fronto Temporal Dementia (FTD) and when first diagnosed, 4 years ago, her speech had already deteriorated. It has continued to get worse, along with her ability to either understand what is being said to her, or to intemperate and follow "commands".

She will often just repeat (mirror) what someone has said and I do find that if I am trying to get her to do something, I have to try and remove anything distracting, like the TV being on, etc.

Sometimes, she amazes us by coming out with almost a normal sentence but it's mostly a mixture of single words or a bit gobbledegook.

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Interesting.....my mum is very hard of hearing but I've noticed that she is not understanding my words now. How does this progress as she speaks well at the present time.

My Mum definitely has aphasia and it's like talking to someone who doesn't understand English. When Mum speaks it is hard to understand her and when she starts a sentence, after a couple of words she gets stuck and can't continue. She has mixed dementia and is in the advanced stage.

Have also noticed that she no longer sees things properly - my Dad will be sitting next to her or standing in front of her and she will start calling out for him and asking where he has gone to. She had an eye test last year so there is nothing wrong with her sight but it's like she is going blind. It's such a terrible illness :(

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
My Mum definitely has aphasia and it's like talking to someone who doesn't understand English. When Mum speaks it is hard to understand her and when she starts a sentence, after a couple of words she gets stuck and can't continue. She has mixed dementia and is in the advanced stage.

Have also noticed that she no longer sees things properly - my Dad will be sitting next to her or standing in front of her and she will start calling out for him and asking where he has gone to. She had an eye test last year so there is nothing wrong with her sight but it's like she is going blind. It's such a terrible illness :(
Very, very sad Risa

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
Hi @Optomistic, my Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimers and speech aphasia. I recall the consultant explaining that this could in time affect not only his speech but his ability to understand language. That is certainly now the case. He is also hard of hearing but are now unable to get him to wear his hearing aids, though I'm not certain that they would necessarily improve the situation. He is in a very good CH and I know they find ways of communicating well with him and have access to a speech therapist, but I find it increasingly difficult converse....it's very sad. Sorry you are experiencing this. Love Gx

Rosie4u

Jun 22, 2017
South Manchester
Hello my husband is in the same situation.It can be difficult to understand him and he now does not understand what is being said. He repeats what you have just said to him. We haven't been offered any help with speech therapy or alternative communication techniques - I'd be interested if anyone had any experience of anything. He can't write now either or read particularly well. These last few weeks as it progresses it is frustrating - he's never minded before and we've had a giggle but lately he's wanted to tell me something but hasn't been able to. This disease is cruel - when someone is scared and vulnerable it takes away their communication.
I'm sorry I don't have anything to help - Itry to be patient and try to guess to help him.

Rosie

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Cant believe I’ve only just found this thread and am pretty sure Mum has aphasia too! She knows its happening which makes it even worse. She starts sentences and cant finish them and says “my poor old brain wont work”.she is also sad that she can no longer write as she had beautiful handwriting. She spent ages the other day trying to find the word bra. She knew it was something she wore but after a process of elimination we got there.

It must be terrible feeling your language, your timetelling, your handwriting, your conversation all disappearing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77