Probate Meeting went well

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
We had our Probate Meeting yesterday afternoon and we were finished in les than ten minutes. The only minor problem was that the name of Mum's Nursing Home had been spelt two different ways on the form!
I think the people who work in Probate Offices do a very good job and are effecient.
Also, when I had to register Mum's death, the Registrar was very good and she was using a new computer programme which made the whole process very straightforward.
It is just a pity the Inheritance Tax form is so complicated for people to fill in. I'm sure it could be made easier, just like the Self Assessment Income Tax forms.
Kayla

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Pleased that the meeting was straight forward Kayla.

For those who have never dealt with someone dying; after the death you are given a death certificate by the doctor (provided that the person has been seen by a doctor within the past 14 days I think it is). You then have to make an appointment to see the registrar; nolonger can you just turn up - well that was definitely the case in our area.
The Registrar that we dealt with was brilliant - efficient, kind but not over sympathetic, understanding of grief and confusion.

I do wonder whether those of us who have been/ are going through the death process should create a help page of "What to do when someone dies" - I know that I had little idea, but friends on here helped me through and told me what to expect.

Any thoughts?

Love Helen

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Dear Helen,
I think that would be a good idea. When my father died suddenly in hospital, I had no idea what to do next or how all the various proceedures worked. Friends gave us information and recommended a good Funeral Director and everyone was very helpful and professional.
When Mum died, I had to deal with everything on my own, because my husband was ill with a tummy bug. As I knew what to do, I manged to organise the funeral and deal with the banks by myself with no problems.
I'm sure it would help people, if they had an information page or a forum, to exchange ideas about how to cope with the practical issues of a bereavement.

Kayla

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Amy said:
I do wonder whether those of us who have been/ are going through the death process should create a help page of "What to do when someone dies" - I know that I had little idea, but friends on here helped me through and told me what to expect.

Any thoughts?

Love Helen

That title rang a bell as I am sure I have or have had a leaflet of that name. I googled it and this is what came up

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/RightsAndResponsibilities/Death/WhatToDoAfterADeath/DG_10029808

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5