Primary Progressive Aphasia

marymmcc

Jan 7, 2016
Toronto Canada
I have had the working or suspected diagnosis for about 2 years. My symptoms began 2-3 years before that. My tests also show Mild Cognitive Impairment. I am 58 years old and being followed by a top neurologist at a teaching hospital in Canada.
Thank-you for responding San Fairy Ann. You understood exactly what I was feeling, and your husband nailed it with his explanation.

vanman

Jan 3, 2017
Warwickshire
Ppa

I have had mild word finding symptoms for the last ten years, which are getting worse, a clinical psychologist has been giving me RBANS memory tests over a long period which show definite word finding difficulty and little else. My speech is reasonable but I do transpose words and say their opposites. I also can't remember friends and families names sometimes, together with other nouns. Have had right sided migraines for years. Frightened and can't seem to find help because I seem to talk ok (I can circumlocute very well). I am 60 this year. Any thoughts welcome!

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I have had mild word finding symptoms for the last ten years, which are getting worse, a clinical psychologist has been giving me RBANS memory tests over a long period which show definite word finding difficulty and little else. My speech is reasonable but I do transpose words and say their opposites. I also can't remember friends and families names sometimes, together with other nouns. Have had right sided migraines for years. Frightened and can't seem to find help because I seem to talk ok (I can circumlocute very well). I am 60 this year. Any thoughts welcome!

Welcome to TP :)

vanman

Jan 3, 2017
Warwickshire
What sort of tests?

I have had the working or suspected diagnosis for about 2 years. My symptoms began 2-3 years before that. My tests also show Mild Cognitive Impairment. I am 58 years old and being followed by a top neurologist at a teaching hospital in Canada.
Thank-you for responding San Fairy Ann. You understood exactly what I was feeling, and your husband nailed it with his explanation.

Hi, Can I ask what sort of tests you underwent please?

vanman

Jan 3, 2017
Warwickshire
PPA progression

I am 60 years old and was diagnosed a year ago with Semantic type PPA. My symptoms primarily were related to forgetting names of people, groups, objects etc. I have shown little to no progression thus far. I am followed by a neurologist every 4 months. My diagnosis was revealed through the exhaustive Memory Testing then confirmed by MRI, EEG, carotid ultrasound and laboratory tests. All were found to be negative, thus ruling out any organic disease such as tumor or stroke. I would be interested to hear about your husband. I do not know anyone or have seen anyone with this diagnosis. The literature and studies regarding this disease process holds no answers to how it progresses because all of the patients have such variation. There are 3 variants identified, mine being Semantic variant. This type will progress differently from the other types. Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Noticed you had not posted again - I have the same problems but no great progression - I wondered how you are now.

sloeginlin

Jun 5, 2017
Hello, I have been diagnosed with Logopenic dementia and it devastated me. Told in June 2018 and sent away with nothing, no information, no ideas of contacts etc. I had to do all the looking up and research myself. My first appointment with the psychiatric nurse at the memory clinic was 1st October. I say my first, but it is the only appointment I have had with anyone. I lose words, I seem to know what I want to say, but the words just aren't there. My sentences can be very broken, but what I find odd is that I can chatter away easily, but when I want to say something else I have to really try and think about the words to use. This sounds strange I know.

I saw this thread was from a few years ago and have tagged along, I wonder if anyone is still out there and wants to talk about this awful disease xxx