Prevention actions, particularly for those at higher risk

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I am not sure how it came up in the conversation but my OH found out a few things when talking with his brother on Skype, things that rather distressed him.

So it appears that apart from OH's mother having Alzheimer's, his grandfather committed suicide as did his mother's brother. Another uncle appears to have been highly disturbed and was often removed to a clinic of some kind and there seems to be another couple of relatives with some form of mental illness but not specified.

He has told me in the past about his uncle's suicide but I am don't know if my OH knew about the other relatives and had forgotten or if he ever knew. Sometimes in years past, these things were never discussed openly particularly in front of children so it could well have remained hidden.

It certainly has given me food for thought and just maybe it adds a few clues as to my husband's condition and perhaps why he doesn't fit any of the usual dementia profiles. I am aware that there are genetic forms of these diseases but maybe there are broader implications for gene research in this area.

I am the youngest of five children, the three oldest all now in their eighties and at this stage, we are all still mentally competent and dementia free.

I suppose I am wondering how does anyone prevent or delay AD when there are many possible influences.