power of attourney

happifeet

Jul 18, 2023
Hello every one, please is there any advice! my 81 year old very active busy neighbour Bob, was lucky enough to have a husband/parnership who left every thing with a power of attourey about 20 yrs ago after he died for Bob, he has lived in a 4 bed bungalow, its rat infested and no electric, i have contacted the solicitors who advise me Bob is of sound mind, 4 weeks ago he has a fall,luckily no injury, the solicitor had him admitted to hospital 2 weeks later they moved him to nursing home saying his house needs vital repair, i agree, however we have offered him to stay with us until house ready, ? we were asked by solicitors to empty the house! bin every thing, 2 weeks later, they took the keys back every thing half packed? we have had his dog, 4 weeks, the house is a mess, they said it was ready to fumigate, then it needs a rewire, replace floor boards eaten away by rats, then decorating, its 2 weeks now and Bob is so depressed not getting out of bed, very swollen feet, we take him out daily we decided to call the solicitor and let them no he is so unhappy, to be told things are movig, the rat man has been in and now shortly on to next faze, today we took bob to see his neighbour who informed us no one had been to the ouse except the secretary at solicitors and had the locks changed? Bob has not been consulted of this, and worse has not been given a key to his home, and how was the money moved from his account to the locksmith?, Bob asked me to take him to get a bank balance. 6 months ago he had 76k in his every day account, today 10k and the solicitor has told us when we take him out he is not to use his card? the power of attourney are were in london we are in south west, a local solicitor is who we deals with his affairs but this is not the original solicitors where can i get professional advice for this man PPLEASE,

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Who has power of attorney for him? If there is no-one does he have capacity to appoint someone?

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @happifeet
From what you have said, it sounds to me, like:
a) Bob can't manage things - eg allowing rat infestation to go on; and
b) the solicitors have PoA to be able to do the things you mention (arrange for Bob to go into hospital, to change house locks, to move money, etc).

If Bob still has capacity to manage his own affairs, then it would for him to question the actions of the solicitors.
If Bob doesn't have capacity to manage his affairs, then it would be for his PoA if he granted one, or CoP appointed Deputy.

You should ask those solicitors the position, and get all the facts.

happifeet

Jul 18, 2023
Hi @happifeet
From what you have said, it sounds to me, like:
a) Bob can't manage things - eg allowing rat infestation to go on; and
b) the solicitors have PoA to be able to do the things you mention (arrange for Bob to go into hospital, to change house locks, to move money, etc).

If Bob still has capacity to manage his own affairs, then it would for him to question the actions of the solicitors.
If Bob doesn't have capacity to manage his affairs, then it would be for his PoA if he granted one, or CoP appointed Deputy.

You should ask those solicitors the position, and get all the facts.
thank you for advice, they wont talk to me, because bob has capacity, . and they just Tell bob what there plan is, but nothing is being done in his home and its been month of £1200 per week for him to just lay on a bed. when he would normally be out in his community, every day,

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Bob has capacity so it is up to him to state the whys and wherefores or question the solicitors actions. He can also have the LPA stopped or changed. However I do wonder who has assessed his ability and his capacity.
If you are really worried about Bob then maybe a quick call to the local social services would put your mind at rest, ask them to look into his situation as you are concerned about the LPA and the how the solicitors are carrying out his wishes. I suspect they would also have moved him in to residential care once they realised the state of his home as it had become a safeguarding issue. They possibly already know about his situation and are in direct communication with the solicitor.
I’m also wondering who is paying for his current care.