Power of attorney

Valrose

Jul 4, 2023
My husband has very little short term memory although day to day he functions normally. If not for that you would not realise anything much were wrong apart from at 80 years old he is slower, and has problems with rheumatoid arthritis etc. However he will forget he has done things and repeat the task., and he will re-ask the same, although sensible, questions. For example he washed and changed the spare bed then a day later he did it again, he checked out a transistor then later forgot he had done it, so he is capable in the moment but not retaining much. He can sort out and take his many meds unaided. I have always taken charge of everything financially as it was how our lives went.
i still think he may have Parkinson’s though a perfunctory examination by a consultant because he gets tremors came back as nor Parkinson’s so but I got him to draw a clock on a A4 sheet of paper and he drew it perfectly with hands at correct time but the size of a 10p coin. Plus his gait etc.
I realise we should have power of attorney but I have nobody other than my husband, either able or that I could trust one hundred per cent. Can he have power of attorney for me or would this be unwise? Could I revoke it if I thought he was incapable of making decisions? I don’t want to go to solicitor and say we want to redo our wills (ours are just DIY forms) but only ask for POA on my husband.
i apologise for rambling on but it was hard to stop when I did 😢

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
would be pretty pointless having his as your POA

Would be sensible for you to be his, while he still has the ability to understand what it eans ( even if on some level)

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to the forum @Valrose

With regard to the LPA you can print off the forms to fill in yourself, or do online. You could always do an LPA for both of you but not register your husband’s. He need never never know you omitted the last step on his.

I did my dad’s LPA online - the steps were very clearly explained in the forms and it was easy to complete. It was also much cheaper than having a solicitor involved..

Do the LPA before you see the solicitor about the wills then you can truthfully tell them that you already have your Lasting Power of Attorney sorted!

Valrose

Jul 4, 2023
Welcome to the forum @Valrose

With regard to the LPA you can print off the forms to fill in yourself, or do online. You could always do an LPA for both of you but not register your husband’s. He need never never know you omitted the last step on his.

I did my dad’s LPA online - the steps were very clearly explained in the forms and it was easy to complete. It was also much cheaper than having a solicitor involved..

Do the LPA before you see the solicitor about the wills then you can truthfully tell them that you already have your Lasting Power of Attorney sorted!
Thank you, sorry not to respond sooner but things got in the way elsewhere.

Valrose

Jul 4, 2023

Would be sensible for you to be his, while he still has the ability to understand what it eans ( even if on some level)
Yes I guess so, but I have nobody else I would ask/want and he understands everything and functions well, on computer and everyday life. Mends things, knows how they work well it is his memory that lets him down. I imagine it will get worse. Thank you for your reply, sorry I did not respond sooner.

Valrose

Jul 4, 2023

As it is, possibly yes but he can reason and understand perfectly well but has very poor memory. I felt that if his children could help him but I don’t want them, much as I love them, having POA over me. He does understand perfectly well what POA means but I realise this could change sooner rather later. Thank you for your advice, sorry I did not respond sooner but life got in the way!

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I would definitely set up POA for your husband with you as his attorney. If he / you want you could also have his children as replacement attornies, should something happen to you. Once the POA is registered you don't have to "activate" it, i.e register with banks etc., and start using it, until you feel your husband can no longer manage. However, if you leave it too long, you may not be able to set one up at all. I currently have POA for an aunt and uncle. It was set up 4 years ago, and we have had no reason to action it, as they are both still capable. If they were to start needing help we would just need to register it with their banks / utilities etc. - a fairly simple task.
As for yourself, an attorney could be a solicitor, if you don't have family or friends that you can trust.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I named my wife as Attorney when we both set up Lasting Power of Attorney 7 years ago. I used the online system. I did mine to encourage her to follow suit, which she did. I knew though that she could not be my Attorney for long as she had just received her dementia diagnosis. We both also named her son as Attorney (joint and several). I still act as her Attorney but he has shown no interest. When I became estranged from him I revoked both of my LPsA as neither Attorney was able to act, one because of dementia the other due to estrangement.

Both Finance & Property and Health and Welfare Powers have proved useful in managing my wife's affairs and getting her the care that she needs.

Last edited:

Valrose

Jul 4, 2023
I named my wife as Attorney when we both set up Lasting Power of Attorney 7 years ago. I used the online system. I did mine to encourage her to follow suit, which she did. I knew though that she could not be my Attorney for long as she had just received her dementia diagnosis. We both also named her son as Attorney (joint and several). I still act as her Attorney but he has shown no interest. When I became estranged from him I revoked both of my LPsA as neither Attorney was able to act, one because of dementia the other due to estrangement.

Both Finance & Property and Health and Welfare Powers have proved useful in managing my wife's affairs and getting her the care that she needs.
I am sorry it took me so long to see your reply, which is very helpful to our situation

Valrose

Jul 4, 2023
I am sorry it took me so long to notice your reply which is very helpful as along the lines I was thinking.