power of attorney

Charlot's web

May 1, 2023
my husband, aged 75, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's last August. we were advised to apply for power of attorney right from the start but he has refused point blank. arguing that 'as we have a joint bank account all finances are already in my hands'. he gets angry and upset if I mention it. what can I do?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
When I wanted to get OH to sort out his POA I told him I was getting mine done and suggested we both had ours done.
Anything I had, he wanted too and this way he also didnt feel singled out.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I pointed out to my husband that we both needed to have POA for each other in case one of us had an accident. I made it more about him being able to look after everything if I became sick, broke my leg. had an accident etc. I made him first on my list with my two children as back ups, knowing that eventually he would not have capacity to undertake the responsibilities.

Our POAs are mirror images and he was quite happy with that.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Charlot's web and welcome. I took a similar approach. I told my wife that I was setting up Lasting Power of Attorney so that she could manage my affairs if I couldn't. I used the online system. I had the forms for her ready as well but did not push her. A short while later she began to say that maybe she should do the same. As it was now her idea it was much easier to complete the process without resistance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlot's web

May 1, 2023
When I wanted to get OH to sort out his POA I told him I was getting mine done and suggested we both had ours done.
Anything I had, he wanted too and this way he also didnt feel singled out.
unfortunately that Jeannie is already out of the bottle. he knows I want him to sign up to it and will see right through that one. thanks anyway

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Try telling him that if anything happens to either of you, eg fall of traffic accident, making them unable to handle their finances the government will consider the joint account to be shared equally and take full control their bank accounts etc.

Tell him you are granting an LPA because you don't want the government taking control of your money, then let him see you do it, not having an LPA in place can cause more trouble than not having made a will.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I did my LPA before The Banjoman. I pointed out how much of his money would be taken up in costs to OPG if LPA wasn’t in place. OPG charge for overseeing someone’s finances even though the Deputy does all the accounting and paperwork.
I too used the accident or a stroke scenario rather than dementia as being the need for access to his finances.

Robinsong

Apr 3, 2023
D
Try telling him that if anything happens to either of you, eg fall of traffic accident, making them unable to handle their finances the government will consider the joint account to be shared equally and take full control their bank accounts etc.

Tell him you are granting an LPA because you don't want the government taking control of your money, then let him see you do it, not having an LPA in place can cause more trouble than not having

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey