power of attorney

GardenGate

Jul 14, 2020
hi everyone
I need to get a power of attorney sorted for my mum. Iv seen that you can get one from the gov website for a fee of £83 which is fine but it only seems to cover the financial side do I need a different one for her health care wishes? Iv looked online but its baffled me . I'd be really grateful if someone could explain what I need to do. Thank you

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
hi everyone
I need to get a power of attorney sorted for my mum. Iv seen that you can get one from the gov website for a fee of £83 which is fine but it only seems to cover the financial side do I need a different one for her health care wishes? Iv looked online but its baffled me . I'd be really grateful if someone could explain what I need to do. Thank you
Yes
health & welfare & financial are separate
Please consider using a solicitor it's a flat fee usually & worth while for ease & also if you make a slight error it can cost the same as using a solicitor.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
By the way, I have assumed you are in England. The rules differ in NI, where I live, and there is a different Factsheet for that.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hi and welcome from me too @GardenGate .Sorry @DesperateofDevon :) I'm going to offer a different view , did our
‘s online easy peasy ,did both at the same time . Finance/property and health & welfare , solicitor wanted £800 to do it .Just make sure you sign in the right order (we all signed together so wasn’t a problem) .

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Hi and welcome from me too @GardenGate .Sorry @DesperateofDevon :) I'm going to offer a different view , did our
‘s online easy peasy ,did both at the same time . Finance/property and health & welfare , solicitor wanted £800 to do it .Just make sure you sign in the right order (we all signed together so wasn’t a problem) .
I have to say that Aged Mother & Dad at the time had been diagnosed with dementia - & i'm so pleased that we did go down the solicitor route as it stopped any of Aged Mothers ' i didn't agree to this ' mutterings.
Tbh i had had enough with all the paperwork involved & once aged mother said she didn't want / trust / need the POA for her or Dad i was left with no choice but to go down the solicitor route.
Aged Mother won't have anything to do with modern technology - or the diddle diddle machine as she calls it. ?so doing it online wasn't an option sadly

Illy

May 11, 2013
Manchester
As Woo2 says, it is fairly straightforward to do on-line. My husband also is against any sort of technology (believes aliens are behind it all) but I printed out all the forms and the instructions and he was fine with that (although it was 5 years ago, I presume you could still do that). As long as you follow the instructions exactly and read everything twice, its fairly straightforward to do them yourself. x

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
For my mum, we went to a solicitor as she insisted on using one, she does not like computers! But I recently did LPAs for myself which I did online. I filled the form in online then saved it so I could print off the relevant parts to post to the attorneys. The signed forms need posting to the OPG and I used recorded delivery.

I did make a mistake when sending in the forms as I did not include one sheet which was just an information sheet with nothing to fill in but as all pages were numbered, it was necessary. The OPG wrote to me and I had four weeks to return the missing paperwork before they could process it.

However, the OPG made a mistake when returning the authorised forms, there was a page missing from one of the LPAs! I had received the final paper in April but did not really check through them before filing them. But just two weeks ago I decided to scan them into my computer to send copies to my children ( the attorneys) and I am also thinking of certifying them myself so will need a paper copy. Fortunately when I phoned the OPG, they checked what they had on the system and took my word that the sheet was missing so they are going to send me another set. I was worried about the time delay but the person I spoke to was very helpful and understanding.

I am pleased that I did not use a solicitor, it really was straightforward if you read the guidance but when dealing with someone with early Alzheimers, sometimes the formality of using a solicitor is helpful. The solicitor we used certified her capacity during the meeting which was helpful.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Yes it is easy but remember that not everyone is good at this sort of thing so if help is needed it may be best to get it.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
hi everyone
Here is the bad news. You have to pay the £83 twice, once for each POA.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
ive jus it getting to the end of the process and went through alzheimers help line. i havent got a printer so they make an appt to do the forms over the phone.send them to you with an order of who signs first then another phone call just to check.send to board of public guardians. if you are on certain benefits you dont have to pay and the service was just as good as solicitor.we were quoted £600 for both which just silly money we didnt have so we were having to take our chances. bit drawn out but worth it

GardenGate

Jul 14, 2020
Thank you everyone for the help and info. I'm going to look into it. Don't suppose anyone would know how to tell my mum that its needs to be done as she already thinks the family are trying to take her money ?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hmm you could print off extra one and say you are doing yours too and then just bin it , say that everyone does them now , it’s a New government thing , free to over 70 ‘s , anything you think she may accept , hopefully others will be along with better ideas soon. Good luck ?