Power of Attorney Question

Di*

Sep 25, 2015
Cornwall
I have registered the Power of Attorneys for my hubby.

I was wondering what the procedure is for using them when required please. Do I just take the document to the place I am trying to implement the PoAs. I'm guessing its not as simple as that.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Di*

If I remember correctly I was asked to provide copies of the Power of Attorney for it to be accepted by some institutions. I think I was issued with 3 copies originally because photocopies weren`t accepted.

This was in 2008 so things might have changed since then so I hope others will post with more current information.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I made appointments with mum's banks to activate POA, for other things I produced them when asked. Whatever you do do not give anyone the original, I have 4 certified copies that I hand over and so far they have been returned to me.

brambles

Sep 22, 2014
NW England
When you make appointments with the banks to activate the POA please check what other documents you need to produce. I seem to remember I had to go twice to one bank as I didn't have correct ID with me.

Vitesse

Oct 26, 2016
When you make appointments with the banks to activate the POA please check what other documents you need to produce. I seem to remember I had to go twice to one bank as I didn't have correct ID with me.
I did the same. I made appointments at the bank, and had to take ID (passport, ultilty bill). They want a certified copy of the POA. It was quite a long process (about 30 minutes in the bank). They fill in forms, take copies of the POA and send them to some other part of the bank network. You then get notification in a few days of acceptance. I have done Barclays and Lloyd’s and the process was the same.
i have also used the POA with our broadband provider. I didn’t want to send the POA to them and they agreed I could email it to them. I emailed pages 1&2 with a covering letter and that was OK.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I provided the bank with copies which they made from the original, I was asked for the same when he was hospitalised but once on the system wasn’t asked again, gave an email copy to his dentist as I decided on his treatment, and provided his respite care home with a copy as well as social services.

ashtreex

Dec 16, 2018
London
Okay, you need some copies of the signed, witnessed and registered POA. Then, at the bottom of each page of a copy the person needs to certify it, this is what you mostly don;t get told but it is here: https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/certify. You don't need to pay a solicitor to do this:

Write the following text on the bottom of every page of the copy:
“I certify this is a true and complete copy of the corresponding page of the original lasting power of attorney.”
On the final page of the copy, you must also write:
“I certify this is a true and complete copy of the lasting power of attorney.”
You need to sign and date every page.

I've just been discovering that banks etc also have their own forms and requirements they need in addition. Search their website for Lasting Power of Attorney.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Okay, you need some copies of the signed, witnessed and registered POA. Then, at the bottom of each page of a copy the person needs to certify it, this is what you mostly don;t get told but it is here: https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/certify. You don't need to pay a solicitor to do this:

Write the following text on the bottom of every page of the copy:
“I certify this is a true and complete copy of the corresponding page of the original lasting power of attorney.”
On the final page of the copy, you must also write:
“I certify this is a true and complete copy of the lasting power of attorney.”
You need to sign and date every page.

I've just been discovering that banks etc also have their own forms and requirements they need in addition. Search their website for Lasting Power of Attorney.

I have just sent of my own POA to the OPG and was planning to self certify a copy to save my children having to do it when the times comes. So when in my bank, I asked what their policy was and they said that they only accept the original POA which they then copy for their records. As they have branches nationally I guess attorneys will manage to make an appointment. I then asked the investment company I use who are mainly online and they will accept a certified copy but only one signed by a solicitor, not self certified.

Its a bit annoying that different institutions have different rules!

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I was able to register LPA with the bank over the phone and then sent the certified copy (not the original) to them by post. The drs have lost the copy they made which is a right pain as I can't drive fourteen hours on their whim to deliver the lpa for them to copy again. The solicitor took a copy when I went to see them. Usually you can just take your LPA or copy with you to appointments and they can copy it and note you have it.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
The original copies of The Banjoman’s LPAs were held by the Solicitor and I sent/took Certified copies as needed. I cannot see any reason why a Bank needs an original, that’s what a Certified Copy is for!

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I have just sent of my own POA to the OPG and was planning to self certify a copy to save my children having to do it when the times comes.
If you could self-certify a copy of each for each child it would be really helpful generally though - the solicitors I went to said they would do a certified copy for £5 - turned out it was £5 per page, even when I double checked with them beforehand :eek: