Power Of Attorney info

hawaii50

Power of Attorney in Scotland

We went to our solicitors in 2005 to have a power of attorney drawn up for my mother - this was done in line with the "adults with incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000. "This was drawn up like the lasting power of attorney that is due to come into force and we have the legal right to manage all my mother's affairs, including her medical and welfare rights. It is registered with the Office of the Public Guardian. My brother and I are known as her welfare attorneys and everyone in Scotland has accepted the original and made copies for themselves while we were there.
There is nothing we cannot do with this document - it did cost us about £500 at the time but we were warned by our lawyer that when my mum lost her ability to reason without it we would not be able to make decisions about her welfare, medications etc. At the time of signing my mum was able to understand what it was but within two months she could not have signed it - so although it is a difficult thing to raise with a loved one it is so necessary to have it done while they are still able to sign - in Scotland you do need a solicitor to complete this.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
To the best of my knowledge i would slightly amend a quote from the Alzheimer's Society:
Someone with dementia might be entitled to NHS continuing care.

It depends upon the assessed care needs of the individual.

Anyone with dementia about to enter, or who is already in, full time residential care is entitled to an assessment to see if they qualify for NHS continuing care

The Alzheimer’s Society campaigns for

· Adequate NHS continuing care provision across the country

· National eligibility criteria for long term care across all sectors (health, social and residential)

· Criteria for NHS continuing care for people with dementia to place adequate emphasis on the need for psychological support for individuals.

I'll confirm that asap

MillyP

Jan 5, 2007
London
Many, many thanks to everyone that has replied with advice etc, it's been a great help....I appologise if my thanks has not been quicker but my life at the moment is in turmoil what with everything that has happened and is happening now with my Dad...I'm just waiting for the light to appear at the end of a very long and dark tunnel we are all in right now. Milly xxx