'Postcode Lottery' dementia care map

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi

Just saw this on the BBC News website. I can't claim to entirely understand it, but it is an officicial DOH map showing the variances in diagnosis and care in the field of dementia. Apparently pale blue shows less activity, darker blue, more.

Hope others can make better sense of it!

https://shapeatlas.net/dementia/#6/52.955/-2.153/l-p65

Oh, I see stanleypj beat me to it!!

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
Hi Lindy
Just tried to use this but beaten - will try laptop rather than phone. Picked up that PWD should have annual check of care needs. Really? Who should do that? I only have input now due to OH having a stroke. Actually expecting SW any minute now.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Me neither, I live in Salford which looks to be the second "worse" place at 5.5 (as far as I can see, sorry if I've missed anywhere out) only beaten by Nottingham West.
But what does it prove, maybe we're just better at diagnosing in Salford.
I read some of the stories on here and am amazed at the hurdles some people have to jump to get a diagnosis, I've gone through the system twice now, first with my mother and now with my wife and I haven't had half the problems people on here have encountered getting a diagnosis, scans and memory clinic appointments.
Possibly the city's desire to be "the most dementia friendly city" helps, there's even an app we can download to get around.
Unless there's "something in the water" then all I can think is it's being managed and addressed better in some place than in others.
K

http://salfordonline.com/23835-dementia-app-launched-salford-help-people-living-disease.html

Ishould add that being under 65 we're not included in the figures!!!

Last edited:

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Me neither, I live in Salford which looks to be the second "worse" place at 5.5 (as far as I can see, sorry if I've missed anywhere out) only beaten by Nottingham West.
But what does it prove, maybe we're just better at diagnosing in Salford.
I read some of the stories on here and am amazed at the hurdles some people have to jump to get a diagnosis, I've gone through the system twice now, first with my mother and now with my wife and I haven't had half the problems people on here have encountered getting a diagnosis, scans and memory clinic appointments.
Possibly the city's desire to be "the most dementia friendly city" helps, there's even an app we can download to get around.
Unless there's "something in the water" then all I can think is it's being managed and addressed better in some place than in others.
K

http://salfordonline.com/23835-dementia-app-launched-salford-help-people-living-disease.html

Good to hear that somewhere is doing something well, kevini :) The app sounds a good idea

Last edited:

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi Lindy
Just tried to use this but beaten - will try laptop rather than phone. Picked up that PWD should have annual check of care needs. Really? Who should do that? I only have input now due to OH having a stroke. Actually expecting SW any minute now.

My mum has never had an annual review either. In fact it's only happened when I've insisted, when there was a specific problem. Around here there just don't seem to be the staff available. Social workers do the reviews when they happen, although I gather that in other areas it may be someone from health.

All very confusing......!!!

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
In the Telegraph too

Was reading about this earlier - the headline on Mum and Dad's paper.....doesn't cover Wales, which would also be an interesting read. I think we do quite well in this part of Wales (Monmouthshire). Gx