Possible Prescribe Risperidon

boboroo76

Jun 30, 2019
My wife could be prescribed Risperidon. Any experience of this being used by people in your care ??

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
My wife could be prescribed Risperidon. Any experience of this being used by people in your care ??
My mum was on risperidon 10 years ago, she got a brain infection. She was convinced my dad was hurting me and my sister and that we were all trying to poison her. The risperidon calmed that down very well. No side effects for mum.
#slight caveat mum did not have Alzheimer’s then, so i have no idea what difference that would make.

Hellyg

Nov 18, 2014
Midlands
My husband is on 1mg in the Morning and 2mg at night, it has really helped calm him down and stop his repetitive thoughts. In terms, of side effects he put weight at first and it probably made his dementia seem worse since it does slow down thinking but he would have been unmanageable without it so well worth it.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH was on Risperidone for 2yrs but the Care of the Elderly consultant took him off it last year, as it's not recommended for long term use for Alzheimer's patients. She did say there are better alternatives and if I found he was unmanageable to get back to her.

It did help almost immediately tho' with his obsession, he was never aggressive and to be honest without it, one of us would have been in a home and I'm not convinced it would have been OH. Since he came off it he hasn't needed anything to replace it.

Have a read here:
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/treatments/drugs/antipsychotic-drugs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare