1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Hi everyone, Talking Point is back! We’ve updated the software in order to improve security, design, and the way the community works, and introduced some helpful features.

Find out more

Possible end of life? Hospital won't offer opinion.

Discussion in 'End of life care' started by Bss2t, May 20, 2017.

1. Bss2t

Bss2t Registered User

May 19, 2017
    #1 Bss2t, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Hello all. I'll try to make this as concise as I can.

I'm a 30 year old male and I was raised by my grandmother from the time I was 18 months old. She's always been a tough and proud woman. She's been my saving grace.

She is now 83. She has had bouts of confusion for a couple of years but she was relatively fine. End of April we noticed she began to tremor and had no appetite. May 1 I took off work to pop in and out of her house all day to check on her. That night something told me to go check on her. I found her fallen.

We went to the hospital with a myriad of problems:

Broken back, uti, infected kidney and gallbladder, very low sodium and potassium, a couple of strokes and Alzheimer's. 9 days later we were released.

3 days after entering assisted living she falls, breaks her hip. This was 5 days ago.

She had not eaten more than a couple bites of food per day for about 5 weeks. She is incontinant, no concept of reality and who people are, now has a blood clot and difficulty swallowing.

It doesn't look good to me but I have never dealt with this before. The surgeon said he didn't think she would make it through surgery, but nobody has given us any indication that this is a terminal condition.

Any opinion is very much appreciated. I have always heard a broken hip mixed with dementia is a very bad combination.

2. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to TP :)

I'm so sorry about your grandmother.
    I would ask to speak to the doctors & ask what the plan is. Ask about end of life care & nursing home placements.
    I wish you strength as it's so hard to watch someone we love fade away.