Possible end of life? Hospital won't offer opinion.

Bss2t

May 19, 2017
Hello all. I'll try to make this as concise as I can.

I'm a 30 year old male and I was raised by my grandmother from the time I was 18 months old. She's always been a tough and proud woman. She's been my saving grace.

She is now 83. She has had bouts of confusion for a couple of years but she was relatively fine. End of April we noticed she began to tremor and had no appetite. May 1 I took off work to pop in and out of her house all day to check on her. That night something told me to go check on her. I found her fallen.

We went to the hospital with a myriad of problems:

Broken back, uti, infected kidney and gallbladder, very low sodium and potassium, a couple of strokes and Alzheimer's. 9 days later we were released.

3 days after entering assisted living she falls, breaks her hip. This was 5 days ago.

She had not eaten more than a couple bites of food per day for about 5 weeks. She is incontinant, no concept of reality and who people are, now has a blood clot and difficulty swallowing.

It doesn't look good to me but I have never dealt with this before. The surgeon said he didn't think she would make it through surgery, but nobody has given us any indication that this is a terminal condition.

Any opinion is very much appreciated. I have always heard a broken hip mixed with dementia is a very bad combination.

Last edited:

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP :)

I'm so sorry about your grandmother.
I would ask to speak to the doctors & ask what the plan is. Ask about end of life care & nursing home placements.
I wish you strength as it's so hard to watch someone we love fade away.