Positive and negative

March@

Mar 24, 2022
My mum who is 89, Alzeimers for 5 years often only remembers the negative, even though we have been out in the day the only thing she remembers is in her words …staring out of the window all day..
I feel that she had depression and anxiety in her childhood/youth and just wondered if this is an ingrained feeling that is resurging? Any thoughts?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @March@. I hope you will feel supported on this forum.

5 years into dementia at the age of 89 could mean your mother is unable to process any outing or remember where she has been.

I often wonder if people are types. Some are natural worriers and others are able to make the best of what they have to face.

If this is true and your mother has always been depressed and anxious, it`s likely to be more advanced as the dementia develops.

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
My mum who is 89, Alzeimers for 5 years often only remembers the negative, even though we have been out in the day the only thing she remembers is in her words …staring out of the window all day..
I feel that she had depression and anxiety in her childhood/youth and just wondered if this is an ingrained feeling that is resurging? Any thoughts?
💗 Hello

Dad had definitely a glass half empty vibe before dementia and with hindsight he definitely had bouts of untreated depression. Some of his memories and reminiscing from his younger years have now shed an insight into his family life as well. Dementia seems to bring forward the most negative/challenging parts of his personality more but I suspect the anxiety and depression are also part of the illness as well.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
It’s certainly the case with my Mum. When she starts talking about memories, she has a stock set of anecdotes from her childhood and most are negative. She had an unhappy family life and this is what largely occupies her thoughts. We try to reassure her that she’s been wanted and loved for many more decades than she wasn’t, but she doesn’t appear to remember the family life that she created for herself with her husband and children. It’s so sad. Our family was no bed of roses, but we did have some happy times that I wish were more memorable to her.

We’ve also found that she has no short-term memory unless it’s for something she really needs to forget! She hasn’t had a driving licence for years (the DVLA withdrew it due to her dementia after asking her GP for information) and the family are desperate to sell her car in case she takes it into her head that she needs to drive somewhere. Dad has a blind spot - he won’t hide her keys and insists on maintaining it in a drivable condition. We’ve finally persuaded her to lend it to another family member, hoping that now it’s out of sight she’ll forget about it as she does everything else, and it can finally be sold. Needless to say, she remembers exactly who has it and constantly demands it back. We’re trying to wait it out, but it’s been ten days so far and no sign of that specific memory fading as every other one has done. The car seems to be emblematic of something for her, and that particular memory/need is deeply ingrained.

March@

Mar 24, 2022
It’s certainly the case with my Mum. When she starts talking about memories, she has a stock set of anecdotes from her childhood and most are negative. She had an unhappy family life and this is what largely occupies her thoughts. We try to reassure her that she’s been wanted and loved for many more decades than she wasn’t, but she doesn’t appear to remember the family life that she created for herself with her husband and children. It’s so sad. Our family was no bed of roses, but we did have some happy times that I wish were more memorable to her.

We’ve also found that she has no short-term memory unless it’s for something she really needs to forget! She hasn’t had a driving licence for years (the DVLA withdrew it due to her dementia after asking her GP for information) and the family are desperate to sell her car in case she takes it into her head that she needs to drive somewhere. Dad has a blind spot - he won’t hide her keys and insists on maintaining it in a drivable condition. We’ve finally persuaded her to lend it to another family member, hoping that now it’s out of sight she’ll forget about it as she does everything else, and it can finally be sold. Needless to say, she remembers exactly who has it and constantly demands it back. We’re trying to wait it out, but it’s been ten days so far and no sign of that specific memory fading as every other one has done. The car seems to be emblematic of something for her, and that particular memory/need is deeply ingrained.
Thank you for you reply and your own experience which is very helpful.
Best wishes to you, your family and your mum.
Alzeimers/dementia is such a difficult disease to navigate on top of deteriorating health in the elderly.

March@

Mar 24, 2022
💗 Hello

Dad had definitely a glass half empty vibe before dementia and with hindsight he definitely had bouts of untreated depression. Some of his memories and reminiscing from his younger years have now shed an insight into his family life as well. Dementia seems to bring forward the most negative/challenging parts of his personality more but I suspect the anxiety and depression are also part of the illness as well.
Thank you for your reply and sharing your experience and thoughts which are very helpful to me.