POA

Smithy123*

Feb 10, 2024
Hi my dad has POA for my mum (my mum has advanced dementia) and my Dad is now also showing signs of dementia and has a memory assessment soon. We need to make some important decisions for my mum, as she is currently in hospital, but my sister and I feel that his capacity to judge what my mum needs is now also affected, but neither of us has POA for my mum.

How do we solve this problem as my dad doesn't really have the ability for capacity for himself now and certainly not my mum.
Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If a POA looses capacity the power ceases and the OPG should be informed.

In the longer term somebody will have to apply for financial deputyship for your mum, for H&W a best interests meeting should be called, H&W deputyships are rarely granted.

If dad has not appointed LPAs is there any chance he can do it now?

Last edited:

Smithy123*

Feb 10, 2024
Thank you. Super stressed as my dad is trying to have mum back home after hospital discharge as we have some care at home, but it isn't enough now as she needs full time care but he doesn't agree. As he has social poa I'm worried I can't stop it.

How do we confirm that my dad is losing capacity as he doesn't have a diagnosis yet? He is showing lots of signs of dementia now and sadly can't see what my mum needs

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The hospital discharge should included a care needs assessment, make sure the discharge team are aware of your reservations.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
There is a difference between losing capacity and no capacity. I’m wondering if your dads wishes are more to do with not wanting to face the reality of his wife no longer being able to live at home, this is very common and goes hand in hand with “we can manage” etc. Maybe your dad will accept the situation more if it is explained to him by the professionals involved, especially if you give them the heads up first about your concerns for his health and your mums wellbeing.

Smithy123*

Feb 10, 2024
There is a difference between losing capacity and no capacity. I’m wondering if your dads wishes are more to do with not wanting to face the reality of his wife no longer being able to live at home, this is very common and goes hand in hand with “we can manage” etc. Maybe your dad will accept the situation more if it is explained to him by the professionals involved, especially if you give them the heads up first about your concerns for his health and your mums wellbeing.
Yes have wondered that too. Thank you