• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.


cobden 28

Registered User
Dec 15, 2017
My Mum (88) was discharged home from hospital after almost 2 months, with pancreatitis and complications to her diabetes caused by the steroids to treat the pancreatitis. She had Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI) before she went into hospital but since her discharge back home the confusion has definitely worsened.

She has free carer visits 4 times daily and, for the first three nights at home, an overnight carer as well. After the six weeks of free carer visits he will have to pay privately for the are visits to continue as because of the state of her finances she's classed as a self-funder; I don't know the exact state of her finances because she has never ever in her life discussed this with me.

After visiting this afternoon for the first time since her discharge to do her grocery shopping I was horrified at how confused she now is; although Mum can potter around her bungalow OK and can wash & dress herself and put a ready meal in the microwave, her mental confusion is such that she says she finds dealing with all the paperwork and her various medical appointments to be overwhelming and she says she cannot cope with this.

A care home will be needed sooner rather than later, but Mum is very independently-minded and wants to avoid this at all costs. I asked whether there was any sort of POA in place and Mum said there is, but surely if this was the case then I as Mum's next-of-kin would have been involved and my signature required on the relevant documents. I have most definitely NOT been asked to sign any sort of legal paperwork so is it possible that Mum hasn't actually set up POA at all? Or is it possible that she has set up POA with some other person than myself as NOK - most likely her solicitor? Is it appropriate for me to contact Mum's solicitor to ask this sort of question?


Volunteer Moderator
Dec 15, 2012
Hi @cobden 28
You can actually check with the OPG themselves

If you think there may be no LPAs in place why not check and in the meantime look online at beginning to organise them and have them ready to fill in ASAP

If one has been filled in but not registered your mother can complete new forms.. take a look at the info on the links


Registered User
Apr 3, 2019
I am not an expert but I have amassed six LPAs for all my aging relatives o_O and apart from signing it, you get a letter every time one is registered - registered, not just filled out - if you are named as an attorney. You can contact her solicitor but they may not be able to tell you, because you don't appear to have LPA... what a catch 22! Your mum could have set up one without you but it seems unusual for this to happen without you having been consulted. Anyone likely to have been made an attorney who you could ask? The solicitor can't be an attorney surely, that would rack up some bills :eek: - also you don't need one to set one up.

My dad was unable to take proper care of himself or make himself any food at all and we got to a crisis with his complete lack of organisation and not going to Drs appointments etc. He's now in residential care.