POA difficult step father

platipods

Mar 1, 2012
How long would it take to get POA? My mother was diagnosed with mild dementia 2 years ago, since then she has been diagnosed terminal lung cancer and has undergone surgery for a liver resection (cancer related) her dementia has become steadily worse she understands what is going on but can not retain information for more than a few minutes. My Step father cancelled all her bank cards with her consent and transferred the bulk of her money into joint accounts which would be logical normally however My Step father is a hoarder and this includes money!! my mother has always kept her money issues private from him to avoid arguments but now she has to go through him for every single penny which really distresses her. My mother simply frustrates my step Father , he is openly planning his life after my mother dies and has openly discussed what he will do with her share of the monies and properties after her death she has no valid Will. I do not care about life or money after her death I simply want her to be in a good place in all aspects whilst she is alive. I have been living at home with her for a year now and whilst I am here my Step Father HAS to do the rite thing...but I have to leave on a job for 10weeks on 20/03/12 I want to arrange some extra care for my mother in view of my Step father’s attitude to her and I may need to access some of her money to help with this, my time is very limited i know, but could anyone advise me on what I could do? I am so so sad my mum is spending the Winter of her life like this, she has done so much for others in her life and career it is breaking my heart. T.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello and welcome to Talking Point.
I am sorry to hear about your Mum. With less than 3 weeks it seems doubtful you will manage POA within the time left before you go away. However it may be worth ringing the OPG to check with them, link with contact number is attached:
http://www.justice.gov.uk/contacts/opg

Good luck and very best wishes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77