POA care from a distance

Lainey 127

Nov 25, 2012
Liverpool UK
How practical would it be to sort out my brothers financial affairs and the POA from a distance? Anyone else been through this?
Thanks!

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It looks as if your brother may not have capacity to grant an LPA in which case a court appointed deputy will be required.
Your living miles apart does not hamper the appointment of a deputy, for an LPA it just means documents have to be sent between the donor and the attorneys which is quite a common occurrence.
With either a deputyship or LPA you could deal will your local branch of any bank.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Hi Lainey. I'm sorry to hear that you and your sister have this extra worry, and that your brother is so unwell. These are my first thoughts:

If you are being expected to take over your brother's financial affairs and to sell his property there is potentially a lot of work involved. As well as getting on top of his paperwork and understanding his income and assets, it sounds as if you will be required to do a house clearance, or at least to check the premises for valuables and documents before someone can be paid to clear the housee.

It would seem likely that you need someone on the ground to help if you are not free to get up there in person. You could arrange this with a solicitor. Once someone has POA or is appointed deputy then you can arrange redirection of post to the attorney's address. However, this will not happen overnight, more like months. Therefore someone needs to be checking the post that arrives at his former home. Again, a solicitor can make arrangements to manage this.

Consider what you want in the long-term. Do you want this responsibility indefinitely? It will eventually not require much more than liaising with a CH and paying their fees, plus monitoring his bank account/s and incoming post. However, it is still a responsibility. I recommend that you discuss the options with a solicitor.

Lainey 127

Nov 25, 2012
Liverpool UK
Thanks all. I was granted a Court of Protection order for my Mum, but that was no problem as I'd been dealing with her financial affairs for years anyway. My brother has papers all over the house - his social worker said the mess in his house needs to be seen to be believed - and I know he has all sorts of investments. I wouldn't know where to start.
I really want to help my brother but at the same time I feel I've got enough on my plate with looking after Mum.
I clearly have some thinking to do, but I think I'll need to appoint a solicitor
Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5