1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Please keep me and my Family in your thoughts

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Beannie, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Beannie

Beannie Registered User

Aug 17, 2015
    East Midlands
    After nearly 8 years battling Alzheimers Dementia and Parkinsons Disease my OH is now nearing the end of his life at the age of only 64. He is receiving End of Life Care at his Nursing Home after being transferred back there from hospital. Two weeks ago he was suddenly taken seriously ill and taken to hospital and was diagnosed with a serious UTI, Pneumonia, sepsis and then finally the serious strain of flu!! Unfortunately his already compromised immune system couldn't cope and myself and our daughter as his Power of Attorney's and the Doctors made the decision on Monday to withdraw the antibiotics and fluid drip and allow him to die peacefully.

It has been a roller coaster ride for us particularly in the last 5 months and if you have seen my previous posts we were in fact due to have a meeting last Thursday with the CHC, Social Worker, My Attorney and the Nursing Home Manager as his behaviour had deteriorated to such a point that it was felt he needed to be moved to a Mental Health Unit. This latest development will mean there will be no need for the meeting or for my OH to have to be moved again.

Talking Point has been a Godsend for me as it has allowed me to rant and rave, get valuable information and at times offer support to others. I would urge everyone to have a Power of Attorney for Health and Wealth to cover situations like mine. The Doctors had to consult with me and ask my opinion as my OH was unable to speak for himself and because we had had 'The Conversation' I knew exactly what I had to do. However I never imagined it would be like this. Again many thanks to my fellow Talking Pointers and continue to support each other.

2. Normaleila

Normaleila Registered User

Jun 4, 2016
    Oh Beannie. This is so hard. We're holding your hand and wishing you all strength at this difficult time.

3. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    I'm so sorry @Beannie . It's such a heartbreaking thing, having to actually make the decision to stop treatment and allow our loved ones to leave us. We will all be with you, as you keep your vigil, and wishing you strength and endurance.

4. Linda G

Linda G Registered User

Oct 23, 2017
    My thoughts are with you.

5. Heylowe

Heylowe Registered User

Mar 15, 2015
    Sending you a big hug. I'm so sorry & know, as a family, we aren't far from this situation. Be brave & know that you're doing incredibly well.
    You're right, this forum is amazing! So much support.

6. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    just posting to add my sympathy and support
    may your OH go in peace
    be gentle with yourself Beannie

7. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Registered User

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Kent
    I am thinking about you all too at this very sad and difficult time.

8. Philbo

Philbo Registered User

Feb 28, 2017
    Male
    Kent
    Thinking of you all.

Kind regards
    Phil

9. Risa

Risa Registered User

Apr 13, 2015
    Essex
    {{{Hugs}}} Thinking of you Beannie and your family during this difficult time.

10. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I doubt we can ever imagine the reality @Beannie . Sadly its something we can only endure.

11. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    My thoughts are with you.

12. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I remember your other posts and you've had such a rough ride. No-one who hasn't dealt with this disease can possibly imagine the reality of it. I'm so sorry and hope you can all find some peace now.

13. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    My thoughts are with you all.

14. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    Such sadness. My good wishes to you all at this very hard time.

15. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I'm so sorry to read your sad news. A heartbreaking time for you all. Wishing you strength.

16. PJ

PJ Registered User

Jan 26, 2017
    Female
    Bristol
    Sending lots of love & strength to you all. I can’t begin to imagine what you are going through.

17. Mudgee Joy

Mudgee Joy Registered User

Dec 26, 2017
    Female
    New South Wales Australia
    Let me add my best wishes to the others above. Feel the care and love from us all and be kind to yourself x

18. marmarlade

marmarlade Registered User

Jan 26, 2015

19. nellbelles

nellbelles Volunteer Host

Nov 6, 2008
    leicester
    My thoughts are with you, sending you and your family love and strength at this difficult time.

20. love.dad.but..

love.dad.but.. Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Kent
    I am thinking of you and during the coming days. I know from the same decision I made for Dad to stop iv fluids and antibiotics and take him back to his NH to end of life with familiar people and environment...It is a hard time for everyone. I hope your OH is kept comfortable and peaceful and that you manage to get some rest. And yes I tell everyone I see...poa health as well as finance is important just in case it is ever needed.