Please help?

Theresa Donnelly

Jul 5, 2018
Hello Everyone

My name is Theresa my mother has recently been diagnosed with late-onset Alzheimers. My mum lives with my dad and they have 3 children me, my brother and sister.
One Saturday afternoon last April my mum took a nap in the front room when she woke up she looked at my dad and said "who are you?" our lives have never been the same since- (we took so much for granted)
As a family we are on a massive learning curve, however, we are being very reactive at the moment, I would like us to get to a place where we can start being proactive and try to make some plans-although we understand the may continually be short term.
We have a problem we do not know how to deal with, my mum seems to be having a longer period than usual of not accepting that my dad is her husband. Mum is unwilling to allow him to sleep in the bedroom with her and questions him throughout the day as a way of testing his family knowledge she will then say she has to "speak to Bob" (my dad) to see if he is her husband. Yesterday she explained to me that there are a few Bobs who say to her "I'm your husband" another will say, a short time later "no, I'm your husband"
Bless her she is so confused, even with reassurance and guidance from us, which she accepts in the moment she goes straight back to questioning.
What do we do with dad? Should we create another bedroom for him? will mum recognise him again as her husband or is this a permanent dip?
My dad has Parkinson's disease and is having memory lapses, so any advice/guidance would be really appreciated.

Thank you
Theresa

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Do some research on Capgrass Syndrome.

I found a few techniques that sometimes worked.

Your dad tells the other person to go away as they are not wanted, he is agreeing they are there but stating they should not be.

Your dad makes verbal contact before your mum can see him and carries on talking as he comes into view, helps reinforce who he is.

If she talks about multiple dads, just say they are all nice people.

I'd leave any permanent room rearranging for a while,has anybody spoken to the her GP about this and maybe asked for a referral to a consultant?

On a totally different matter, have you organised.or considered organising, Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPAs) for both your mum and dad?