Pete unable to walk today

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Just a little update

GP has been and the anti biotics for Pete's chest infection haven't worked, so the GP has put him on a different one as, obviously, the infection has now got worse.

Does anyone know if this is usual with infections?

Take care

Lyn T

Just when you think the camel has enough on its back, along comes fate to deliver another straw. How are you, since your operation? I hope you're getting your share of TLC. :)

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Lyn - forgive me for asking something you may have already answered but...

I am an old school nurse and when there were persistent infections then there used to be the option of sending a sputum sample to identify the bug and then provide the appropriate antibiotic. It seems now they do not bother with that unless its asked for and just keep trying different antibiotics. Might it be worth asking if they have taken a sputum specimen for culture?

I realise it may not be the easiest thing to get but it is worth a try if the antibiotics aren't working.

Hope he soon improves

Take care

Celia

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Just when you think the camel has enough on its back, along comes fate to deliver another straw. How are you, since your operation? I hope you're getting your share of TLC. :)

Oop! I haven't had an operation Scarlett:eek:I am blessed with very good health.Touch wood.

Take care

Lyn T

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Lyn - forgive me for asking something you may have already answered but...

I am an old school nurse and when there were persistent infections then there used to be the option of sending a sputum sample to identify the bug and then provide the appropriate antibiotic. It seems now they do not bother with that unless its asked for and just keep trying different antibiotics. Might it be worth asking if they have taken a sputum specimen for culture?

I realise it may not be the easiest thing to get but it is worth a try if the antibiotics aren't working.

Hope he soon improves

Take care

Celia

Thank you Celia

I've never heard of that before.I will ask if the AB's don't work. I'm not sure how we could get the sample though as P understands very few instructions. He does dribble quite a bit though=would that be the same as sputum? How much would be needed?

Take care

Lyn T

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Hi Lyn - I do realise it might not be the easiest but presumably he coughs to clear his chest? If he could cough and spit into a tissue - not ideal but it would provide a sample. It really needs to be from his chest rather than his saliva. If he has a chest infection - are they doing anything to encourage coughing? Steam or any medication? I guess if a care home he doesn't get any physio?

As I said, I know it may not be easy but it does seem to me worth a try in the hopes of identifying the bug and then giving the right antibiotic. Mostly they tend to give broad spectrum antibiotics but that isn't always the answer.

Having steam near Pete to loosen the secretions might help him generally as well as help get a specimen.

I did do a google and found an interesting comment :

Dementia. The lack of ability to concentrate while swallowing contributes to an increased risk of aspiration pneumonia. Elderly patients with dementia who are treated with antipsychotic drugs for psychosis have a 60% increased risk of developing pneumonia. Researchers are not sure why these drugs increase the pneumonia risk.

Source: Pneumonia | University of Maryland Medical Center http://umm.edu/health/medical/reports/articles/pneumonia#ixzz2uN5qMqja
University of Maryland Medical Center

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thanks for this Celia

You have given me a lot to think about. Pete hasn't got a cough -he's got a rattle. When he's been diagnosed with a chest infection he's always had a rattle and breathlessness.I think I will phone his CPN tomorrow as she's clued up about his anti psychosis meds.Now you have mentioned the benefits of steam I'm going to get one of those contraptions that are hung over a radiator (you fill it with water and the heat from the radiator heats up the water and produces steam)

Thanks so much for doing so much research on this Celia-I'm going to read the link now.

Take care

Lyn T

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Oop! I haven't had an operation Scarlett:eek:I am blessed with very good health.Touch wood.

Take care

Lyn T

This memory-lapse must be catching! :eek: I had it in my mind that you had to go into hospital for an op, whilst hubby was in a Care Home, but I've obviously mixed you up totally with someone else. I'm so sorry. :eek:

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Ah, looked back on my posts and found my mistake. It was Meglin and Pete I was thinking of! I'm just so glad I found where I went wrong. Apologies again.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Ah, looked back on my posts and found my mistake. It was Meglin and Pete I was thinking of! I'm just so glad I found where I went wrong. Apologies again.

That's perfectly ok Scarlett

I can remember a while back confusing Sylvia with Helen-and there is no connection between those names. Luckily I realised my mistake before I submitted my post.

Take care

Lyn T

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Hi Lyn - glad to have been of help. If you are thinking of using steam in the way you say, it would be a benefit to add a few drops of Tea Tree oil or even Olbas oil to help defeat the little bug (g*rs)!

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Talking Point mobile app

Last edited:

tom0591

Dec 18, 2013
I hope things are improving by now so this post may be irrelevant by the time you read it.

If Pete has had the same antibiotic before a few times, he may need something different this time. If he has COPD and is a bit physically weak / immobile his immune system won't be 100% so it may take some time. If Pete dribbles it is possible that he is aspirating and he's been self-infected by oral bacteria , but I'm sure the doctor realises this anyway.

If the antibiotics in tablet form don't clear the bugs , strong broad-spectrum antibiotics by IV are given of course.

As i said previously, COPD and a lung infection aren't a good combination , so I hope that it clears up soon.

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thank you once again Celia. I've got some Olbas oil at home so I will take it with me.P always likes that smell.

Tom-Pete has been dribbling on and off for nearly 8 years now ever since he became ill. We were told it was because of the various meds he was on (long and very complex list)

I hope that he doesn't need a hospital stay for IV-our Hospital is NOT Dementia aware and P's needs/behaviour are very challenging. The Hospital didn't even reply to my query asking them if they were Dementia 'friendly'.

Thank you for your reply Tom. I hope you are looking after yourself?

Take care

Lyn

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Good morning Lyn I hope that Pete is feeling a bit better this morning and the Olbas oil helps, it is all so worrying for you,

Jeany xxx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I hope that he doesn't need a hospital stay for IV-our Hospital is NOT Dementia aware and P's needs/behaviour are very challenging. The Hospital didn't even reply to my query asking them if they were Dementia 'friendly'.

I hope thing are improved enough today not to need a hospital stay Lyn. x

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Lynne, I hope Pete responds to the antibiotics soon. Thinking of you both.

turbo

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi

Just back from CH. Well Pete was up and walking (very unsteady).But goodness me he has been agitated all day. Trying to pick up the furniture/aggressive/in peoples faces. I hope it's the chest infection and once the AB's kick in he will calm down-but looking at his eyes it appears he's heading for another manic attack.

I'm at home having a glass of wine.

Take care

Lyn T

Flossie H

Feb 20, 2014
Hi

Just back from CH. Well Pete was up and walking (very unsteady).But goodness me he has been agitated all day. Trying to pick up the furniture/aggressive/in peoples faces. I hope it's the chest infection and once the AB's kick in he will calm down-but looking at his eyes it appears he's heading for another manic attack.

I'm at home having a glass of wine.

Take care

Lyn T

Hi Lyn

Thinking of you both.
God Bless
Hugs from Flossie H