Pet welfare

Rose bud

Jun 15, 2023
My Mum who's in her nineties lives, with carer support, in her own home with mid-to-late mixed dementia and Alzheimer's. She has a young cat. Recently that cat has been found stuck in a spare room for perhaps 36 hours. Mum had missed him, but couldn't find him. On the phone, she said she'd looked in the room where he was later found by the carer. This has happened three times now, with the poor cat being found trapped in different rooms each time (with consequent mess to clear up yuck!)
Mum is apparently very fond of the cat who is mostly a sit on your lap and sleep kind of cat, when he's in. He has access to the garden through a cat flap and he's fed by carers.
It's good for Mum having the cat, but the cat's welfare is a real concern. Mum does not have capacity now, so it's a Power of Attorney decision, but Mum would I think miss the cat if he were to be rehomed.
She was given one of those supposedly life-like pet substitutes at Christmas time, and it "sleeps" on her rug "breathing" away but I've never seen her pay attention to it at all.
Do people have ideas on how we proceed from here?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I was going to suggest Pet Sitters but otherwise how about food and litter trays in each room. At least with a pet sitter your mum would have more company and she may be able to keep the cat for a bit longer. Actually would you be able to take the cat in?

MaNaAk

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
If there are no other welfare issues, a litter tray and water / food in each room is a good work round. How often are carers? As they can check as has happened.

or depending on your mums home - cat flaps in the offending doors??

Waitinggame

Jun 10, 2023
Food etc in each room is a good idea. It would not be unreasonable for carers to check cats whereabouts or absence if they think it is in the garden. If they think it is in the garden they should check other rooms just in case. This after all is significant to your mothers wellbeing. You may need to be specific as to which visit the check should be done to avoid carers assuming someone else has checked. If you are still worried about the cats welfare maybe you could suggest it comes to you for a ‘holiday’ which may need to be extended if necessary. I admire your concern for the cat

Rose bud

Jun 15, 2023
Thanks for these suggestions. It wouldn't be possible to put cat flaps in all the doors but it would be possible to put food, water and a litter tray in the rooms he's got stuck in before.
The care managers said at the start that pet care was not included in what they do, but the carers themselves are very kind people and do empty the litter tray, clean his bowls and feed him. Perhaps I can make a reminder sign for the tuck caller to check for the cat's whereabouts if he's not obviously around at the end of a day.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Can the carers open the doors during their visits? Would your mum just go round shutting them again?

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Mums carers give the boys their lunch when mum has hers. She has cats and dogs at home. In my experience nearly all carers have pets

Rose bud

Jun 15, 2023
Another suggestion, would it be possible to remove the latch so that the doors still shut but don't latch shut? Cats can ussually open doors if they are not latched. I think it's great that you are looking at options to keep the cat. When I was mum's carer, we had two cats (I still have them now) and she loved the cats and they provided her with a great deal of comfort and made a fantastic distraction when things were difficult. There was pretty much always one of them with her. People seem to sometimes assume that animals and dementia don't mix but from my experience with mum, if the animal welfare issues can be addressed, having a pet can actually be a great help.
That's a good suggestion thank you. I didn't think of that. It's true that the cat does provide comfort to Mum. We just need to find ways to ensure the cat's welfare is protected too.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I hope these ideas buy your mum some more time with her cat…animals can bring such comfort and PWD have so much taken away from them xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jo Hefferman