People with dementia tell us how to talk to them

TamsinT

Staff Member
Staff member
Sep 26, 2022
Tommy Dunne sits in an armchair next to a large window with arms resting on his legs and a slight smile on his face.

“Never be afraid to laugh with them – though not at their expense.”

This is just some of the advice which Tommy Dunne, who has young-onset Alzheimer’s, shares with readers of Dementia Together magazine.

Many who have less experience with dementia may be unsure of how to communicate effectively with those who have dementia.
Five people who are living with dementia chose to share their experiences of what can make communication easier or more difficult.

“… the people I love talking with leave their assumptions and fears aside and just spend time with me.” Maxine Linnell says.

You can read the full article on the Alzheimer’s Society website here.
If you’d prefer to have a physical copy, you can subscribe to the Dementia Together magazine by filling in your details here.

Maxinne Linnell stands outside in a large area bordered by trees. She has short grey hair and glasses and is smiling.

DanyCare

Dec 18, 2023
Thank you for sharing this article. It has enhanced my knowledge of dementia and how to communicate with people who experience it in a kind and caring manner.

Nanny1086

Jul 24, 2022
Accept that you have to live in their world because they can no longer live in yours.
K
Hi Kevin , WOW, i’m struggling,,,, but your right i do have to live in my husbands world ,,, where the clouds and the trees are soooo fascinating to him ,,, repeatedly asking me to look at the clouds etc and asking the same question over and over , my husband is 81 and i’m 78 , life can be tough at times ,,, just keep trying to be positive ,,,,

theunknown777

Feb 25, 2022
One of the things I'm always unsure of is whether I should correct them if they say something incorrectly, maybe calling someone the wrong name of saying the wrong colour of something?

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
One of the things I'm always unsure of is whether I should correct them if they say something incorrectly, maybe calling someone the wrong name of saying the wrong colour of something?
I never correct my husband now, I did in the early days and then had to deal with the aggression and abuse.
If he asks for prompts I help and I deflect if I think the subject should be changed. As @Kevinl says they can no longer live in our world. We have to make the adjustment

theunknown777

Feb 25, 2022
Thanks for your reply. I don't tend to get aggression back when I have corrected her. She then corrects herself.

Rossi 1701

Jan 15, 2024
I look after my mum she is 92 years old and I found the hardest thing to deal with is when I don't understand what she is talking about most things I can work out and either change the subject or work though with her one way or another,but sometimes she gets so angry about something's that to me does not relate to anything and even trying to move the subject on does not work.