Peeing in a yogurt pot

jolly22

Jun 28, 2021
I've finally been able to find out why my Dad is peeing in yogurt pots that he leaves beside basins around the house. He tells me that he can't feel when he's finished peeing but, with a yogurt pot at hand (he has very poor eyesight), he can see when he's finished. He has prostate problems as well (maybe not unusual at age 95). Given that using the toilet is probably not going to solve the problem, my question is about hygiene - what can i give him to pee in that's more hygienic? The hospital pee bottles have a narrow entrance and he won't be able to see. Does anyone have the same problem? Ideas very welcome! Thank you...

DaftDad

Apr 8, 2024
Could you get the type of urine sample containers given to women in hospital? They're just a glorified sick bowl shaped thing really. He would be able to see easily. The main issue is emptying it/disposal, I suppose. My Dad pees in the kitchen sink. I have no idea on the logistics of how he achieved this!

Helly19682

Feb 26, 2024
@jolly22 - we have had a similar issue with my dad. He was using drinking glasses (yikes!). He now has a temporary catheter, but if it had continued, we were thinking about him using empty coffee jars - wide neck and you can see inside. Can also be boiled in a dishwasher. Certainly not ideal but it may save the carpet/glasses etc.

special 1

Oct 16, 2023
I've finally been able to find out why my Dad is peeing in yogurt pots that he leaves beside basins around the house. He tells me that he can't feel when he's finished peeing but, with a yogurt pot at hand (he has very poor eyesight), he can see when he's finished. He has prostate problems as well (maybe not unusual at age 95). Given that using the toilet is probably not going to solve the problem, my question is about hygiene - what can i give him to pee in that's more hygienic? The hospital pee bottles have a narrow entrance and he won't be able to see. Does anyone have the same problem? Ideas very welcome! Thank you...
Hi there. re: your problem , try using a small measuring jug. That is what I let my Husband use and it seams to help. Goo luck

jolly22

Jun 28, 2021
@jolly22 - we have had a similar issue with my dad. He was using drinking glasses (yikes!). He now has a temporary catheter, but if it had continued, we were thinking about him using empty coffee jars - wide neck and you can see inside. Can also be boiled in a dishwasher. Certainly not ideal but it may save the carpet/glasses etc.
Thank you - this sounds like a sensible idea - now to promote use of the dishwasher...!