Paranoid

Pezza

Aug 28, 2019
Birmingham
My father died 10yrs ago from Alzheimer's and his disease took him really quickly. I'm paranoid that I'm getting this disease as I'm very forgetful. I'm 55yrs old. Do I go and see my doctor but I really don't want to waste their time. Really appreciate your guidance.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I’m sorry to hear you are so worried. I think it would do no harm to go along to your GP and share your concerns. It could well be something else that is causing forgetfulness - stress can certainly cause it.

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
I have had an MRI on my brain and it showed no shrinkage etc but I had an operation for an aneurysm that was found. I was worried because my mother had Alzheimers in her mid 70s. Your GP could authorise one of those if he or she is uncertain. And there is cognitive testing to work out the extent of the damage also available.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The hormonal whirlwind that is the menopause can cause "foggy brain" too.
In fact there are several reversible/treatable conditions that can mimic dementia.

You wont be wasting your GPs time.

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
It's best to put your mind at rest. You are certainly not wasting anyone's time. If there is nothing, or very little, wrong, your doctor will be pleased - and maybe can arrange regular check-ups to ensure that you don't need to worry.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
hi @Pezza and welcome to DTP,

Definitely get checked out with your GP, you won't be wasting anyone's time.

A few years ago I also thought I was showing signs of dementia - while trying to take care of my husband who did have it. It was very worrying.

After eventually dragging myself to the GP (almost literally because I was feeling so weak by that point, having left things too long) it was found that I had a thyroid problem, which in turn had led to very low levels of vitamin D - leading to the dementia-like symptoms.

I was put on an intensive vitamin D course for week or so, along with daily medication to sort out my thyroid, and I quickly returned to normal. I will be on the thyroid medication (just one tablet) for the rest of my life - but I am fine now.

On another occasion when I started to feel like I was developing similar symptoms, it was traced to a statin medication I had been prescribed. I was taken off it and the symptoms disappeared. That doesn't mean everyone on statin medication will go through the same - it is just how it affected me.

Stress and the menopause also play havoc - both of which I was enduring at the same time.

I understand your worry, but it is better to get checked out with a simple blood test in order to get to the root of the problem rather than live with the intense worry you are currently feeling. It might very well be something that is quickly and easily resolved.

Good luck and keep posting :)

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
When I was 39 I started having very worrying cognitive problems. I would forget things like the names of family members, my favourite songs/authors, my neighbours, etc. I started making spelling and grammatical mistakes too, which really surprised me. Sometimes I could barely finish a sentence as I could not maintain concentration. I started to research dementia as I was convinced it couldn't be anything else.

Further research led me to consider early menopause. I went to the GP who thought it was probably a thyroid issue (due to my age) but I convinced her to do tests and my hormone levels turned out to be very low. (Post menopausal levels.)

Long story short, I was put on HRT and that fixed it. Menopausal symptoms can be absolutely devastating.

My research was not wasted! When my mum started to get dementia I knew exactly what I was seeing...

Oh - and we should all be taking vitamin D. Have a google and you will see how we all really need it! (Sorry - my personal crusade...)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp