Panic setting in

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
I was aware that both daughters and their families were vaguely talking about going away somewhere during the Scottish Easter School holidays but have just become aware of their plans. They are departing tomorrow to Eden project in Cornwall (9 hour drive over two days) and will break the journey back to spend a few days with Son in Law's family in Yorkshire, so away for a fortnight in all. Meanwhile, my sister is off up to her Daughter's to childmind her Grandbairns and my lovely next door neighbours are away to Texas for a wedding. Our car is currently out of action waiting for a part to arrive at the Garage and we have an 8.40 appointment with the District Nurse in another town.

I don't know what I expect to go wrong while they are all away, but am panicking that I have no back-up available for a fortnight. Of course I will wave them off cheerfully with some holiday money in their pockets but inside I will be dreading the lack of sentient conversation and company.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I understand what you mean about the lack of conversation as I don’t get a break from my wife often enough.

I hope all your anxieties about the coming fortnight prove to be groundless. At least you will have your ‘virtual’ friends on the forum. :)

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I was aware that both daughters and their families were vaguely talking about going away somewhere during the Scottish Easter School holidays but have just become aware of their plans. They are departing tomorrow to Eden project in Cornwall (9 hour drive over two days) and will break the journey back to spend a few days with Son in Law's family in Yorkshire, so away for a fortnight in all. Meanwhile, my sister is off up to her Daughter's to childmind her Grandbairns and my lovely next door neighbours are away to Texas for a wedding. Our car is currently out of action waiting for a part to arrive at the Garage and we have an 8.40 appointment with the District Nurse in another town.

I don't know what I expect to go wrong while they are all away, but am panicking that I have no back-up available for a fortnight. Of course I will wave them off cheerfully with some holiday money in their pockets but inside I will be dreading the lack of sentient conversation and company.

I understand exactly where you are coming from - especially about conversation. I love my family dearly and they me - but we do not live near each other - anything up to 450 miles away. His family 200 miles + away. I never have backup available and I despair - so I can see what you are thinking. BUt on the plus side, they will be back where they should be before too long and you will feel happier and safer.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I know how you feel, our family is busy but in a dire emergency and we have had a few they do pull together.
When they go away they all go too.
So like you I wave them off and look forward to their return.
I do have details in a folder of an emergency service should I be unavailable. I tend to 'batten down the hatches' a bit. That is try to have a appointment free time, and keep life simple.
Then I just have to trust, in my case we have no transport. If I did I may choose differently.
Thank goodness for virtual friends as Pete says. Xxx