Pacemaker and end of life.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
The Banjoman has just been put on “end of life care” in accordance with his Advance Directive and with my full agreement. I was phoned yesterday to say he had suddenly deteriorated and the GP for the Care Home had made the decision. As soon as I was able to I went and spent some time with him, he obviously has a chest infection and will not be given antibiotics.
My concern is that he has a heart pacemaker so when the infection takes over and he “dies”, when his heart stops will the pacemaker kick in and restart it? How many times is this likely to happen, does anybody know or can give me an idea of what is likely, please?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m sorry I have no experience of this but I just wanted to say that I’m sorry your friend is now at the end of life stage. Wishing you strength.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m sorry to hear your friend is now at the end stage of his life @Banjomansmate

I`m glad you have found information about pacemakers to put your mind at rest. Banjoman has been lucky to have you.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I am also sorry to hear your latest news @Banjomansmate, but I m glad your mind is now at rest re. the pacemaker.

Thank you for posting what you have found out. I have learnt something as a result - and I am sure it will help many who face similar situations.

Thinking of you both x

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Thanks Sylvia and Lynne, just a waiting game now.
Some of his family spent time with him yesterday and told me he was “comfortable “ last night. More will be going today, some of them coming out of the woodwork!
i have pointed out that he is unlikely to recognise or acknowledge them and I know he would hate it for certain people to see him in the state he is in but I cannot stop them from turning up!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Thanks Sylvia and Lynne, just a waiting game now.
Some of his family spent time with him yesterday and told me he was “comfortable “ last night. More will be going today, some of them coming out of the woodwork!
i have pointed out that he is unlikely to recognise or acknowledge them and I know he would hate it for certain people to see him in the state he is in but I cannot stop them from turning up!
Thank you for putting the link in. It was very helpful.

My husband has a defibrillator and as he refused to complete an Advanced Care Directive, I was feeling quite confused what might happen when the time comes. He has had it in for almost six years so in another year or so it will need to be replaced.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
It sounds as though family and the unwanted “ex” haven’t understood the point of an Advance Directive and the fact that he is dying.and have been hassling for him to be fed and have water! I am told that the District Nurse said to them “Has he asked to be given a drink?” . Ex said,”No he can’t ask for it!”. “Exactly” replied the nurse, “If he cannot ask for it then according to the AD we cannot force it on him. He cannot swallow and it would go into his lungs and he would be unable to cough it up!”
Sheesh! I am glad I said my “Goodbyes “ on Wednesday and decided to keep out of their way!

Mouse2014

Mar 9, 2014
My Mum was 92 and had a pacemaker fitted also. For the avoidance of any doubt it was made clear to me by numerous medical professionals that it didn’t keep mum alive at the end. They advised me it works with the heart muscles and by the time the end is near, the muscles wouldn’t respond to any stimulation as they would be too far gone.
Mums death was a long and lingering death but only because we feel she held out for the minister to come, she died within 2 hours of his visit..
Please don’t worry about life being extended, it’s not likely to happen.
I wish you all well, it’s the most horrible time, end of life .. so very traumatic for all xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell