Own house with mum. Do we need to sell for care if we bought less than 7 years ago?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Just updating on my previous posts in this thread. I have just heard that our Authority have accepted my application for our Joint Owned House (with mum who has dementIa- I am aged 50) to have Discretionary Disregard should she need a care home in the future. I cannot tell you what a weight off my mind knowing the house is safe.
I can just imagine now you must take a few minutes to sit down and relax. May I also suggest you keep any receipts showing your input into the house.

MaNaAk

Jerseygirl

Feb 8, 2021
Hi that was great news,was it a long process involving lots of form filling and paperwork and interviews to manage to win your discretionary disregard?
Hello. I put the request into my authority via our contribution support worker. I wrote a statement detailing (with as much evidence as possible) to show the amount of care mum needs and the amount of support I give, what I have given up, evidence of buying a house together and detailing why this was needed, evidence of when mum was diagnosed, etc. She put this statement into a form and submitted it for their monthly panel. There was no interviews but it was advised to put everything clear in chronicological order and provide evidence.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello. I put the request into my authority via our contribution support worker. I wrote a statement detailing (with as much evidence as possible) to show the amount of care mum needs and the amount of support I give, what I have given up, evidence of buying a house together and detailing why this was needed, evidence of when mum was diagnosed, etc. She put this statement into a form and submitted it for their monthly panel. There was no interviews but it was advised to put everything clear in chronicological order and provide evidence.
Good luck.

MaNaAk

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
Thanks