Overwhelmed

xyz

Nov 23, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I've just joined the forum and what a great source of information and support. I am feeling overwhelmed at the moment and need a safe place to vent. Makes a huge difference speaking to people who can empathise and understand.

My dad (70yrs and working full time) was diagnosed with mild vascular dementia/alzheimer's last year and currently on elelon patches. He has high b/p and diabetes. I had noticed some changes for a number of years but no one in the family wanted to address it and kept saying it was old age. I suspected something more and made a list of his behavioural changes and finally got the Dr to run tests, refer to the consultant which is when they diagnosed his condition.

At first the low dose patches were great he was less withdrawn, happy, calmer, seemed a tad less confused but still got things a little wrong and repeated. Then came the higher dose patches and he has reverted back to how he was before any medication. I have mentioned this to the nurses but they dismiss my concerns. He had a memory test yesterday and scored 28/30, last check was 30/30 and the time before 27/30. I've noticed him getting more confused, frustrated, withdrawn, literally going round in circles physically in supermarkets, he is aggressive to those outside the family and seems like he has a lot on his mind. The nurses told he I must inform the dvla about his condition and said they had already mentioned this to my dad many months ago. You would think they would tell someone who could remember so I could action it! My dad is scared of loosing his licence and independence.

My mum was allegedly told to come to the hospital with my dad and she would have coffee with the social worker and a chit chat in the canteen while my dad and I had his appointment. She did not tell me till 10.30pm the night before. She also didn't know who, what time or what day she was due to visit. Then she said the unreliable social worker was of ill. I told her to ring before hand and confirm the appt. I didn't want my mum travelling with us in the car as my dad needs calm before his memory test. However I gave her the option of confirming the appt. She threw a tantrum and said no she did not want to come an dug her heels in. She is like a spoilt brat. Then whilst waiting at the hsp I heard my mums voice she was leaving a message for the social worker claiming the situation was 'delicate' at home. I'm sick of her games, she twists things to make herself look good.

I live at home with my folks and look after them. My mum has some sort of mental issue in my opinion and antagonises my dad. She feed of his condition, has zero empathy and makes things worse for me often purposely saying unclear things so that my dad can not comprehend. I organised a social worker to come round for her and educate her about alzheimer's but the social worker has done nothing and has an excuse for running late, forgetting or re-scheduling almost every appointment. My mum says she cant cope with my dad and has told me she does not want to learn about his condition, why should she. The folks don't get on 85% of the time- arguing and not talking for weeks so I'm used as the go between. My dad told her to get out his life in a heated argument over the weekend and she replied with why should I. My mum has had a mini stroke, doesn't look after herself- diabetes, sciatica. She attention seeks and hates me talking or looking after my dad. Her mood changes 6 times a day. One minute she is talking to me the next totally blanking me till she needs something. She is cocky, highly manipulative and an emotional blackmailer. She plays games and like to be the victim and mutters every time my dad speaks and the poor thing cant keep up. Frankly she is just plain rude. She pushes my dad and expects to live like a princess wanting to spend, spend, spend and my dad gives in to her for an easy life but nothing is good enough, she finds fault with everything.

I got her referred to the memory consultant and her MRI was fine and and she passed the 3 min basic memory test. She keeps riveting in the fact she has been told she has no memory issues. However the consultant ignore the fact she tends to drive on the wrong side of the road and thinks its funny. Its not. She confused the shower gel and air freshener, leaves the windows open and heats the house then continues to tell me the utility bills have increased! She is very selective with what she tells outsiders. She forgets to lock the car but apparently the medical profession think she is in control of her faculties.

I hate that he is a stressful environment. I don't know if my dads condition is getting worse due to the stress in the house or if it is a natural progression of the disease. The nurses keep telling me he will get worse and to prepare myself.

I don't know what to do about my mum and her behaviour is impacting and changing the dynamics of the house and making my dad unhappy. The nurses say my mum is not their patient and therefore cant help even if it effects my dad. My Dr cant help. My mum wont give permission for me to be present in her Dr appt so I can bring this up either.....

I'm tired, I do everything in the house and job hunt. My mum stops talking and makes me feel guilty if I want to see friends who unfortunately live far. I don't have a support network. I do have a brother and sister who don't want to get involved and when they do on the rare occasions they make things worse and I have to deal with it. I think they could be doing more to help or have empathy for my role.

So thats my story, do things get any better? Does anyone know what to do about my mum?

Thank you!!

ooster22

Aug 11, 2011
Cornwall
Oh my goodness - what a lot you are dealing with. I'm afraid I don't have any answers having not been in that situation BUT there will be others on TP who will be able to give advice.

Just wanted to 'bump' your post back up to the top so it doesn't get overlooked. You will get loads of support from all on TP - please know you are not alone. We are all here to listen and I have found wonderful virtual friends and a lot of comfort from TP.

Keep strong

(((hugs to you))))

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello xyz

What a lot you have to contend with.

If your mum and dad have always had a stormy relationship, I`m afraid the outlook does not look good for the future. If your dad has dementia and your mum mental health issues you certainly will need somewhere to come to offload.

Even if your mum won`t give you permission to attend her GP appointments with her, there is nothing to stop you seeing her GP on your own. The GP will not break confidentiality by discussing your mother but will listen and should act upon what you say.

If you keep a diary of your mother`s behaviours for a couple of weeks and present it to the GP , it will give a better record than a verbal report.

I hope this helps.

xyz

Nov 23, 2011
Oh my goodness - what a lot you are dealing with. I'm afraid I don't have any answers having not been in that situation BUT there will be others on TP who will be able to give advice.

Just wanted to 'bump' your post back up to the top so it doesn't get overlooked. You will get loads of support from all on TP - please know you are not alone. We are all here to listen and I have found wonderful virtual friends and a lot of comfort from TP.

Keep strong

(((hugs to you))))

Dear Ooster22,

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate you 'bumping' up my post. Its a comfort to know and speak to people who have experience in this matter. Who knows someone out there may be able to suggest a better way of coping as I'm finding it hard at the mo.

Thank you, I'm looking forward to sharing and speaking to the TP forum.

xyz

Nov 23, 2011
What a lot you have to contend with.

If your mum and dad have always had a stormy relationship, I`m afraid the outlook does not look good for the future. If your dad has dementia and your mum mental health issues you certainly will need somewhere to come to offload.

Even if your mum won`t give you permission to attend her GP appointments with her, there is nothing to stop you seeing her GP on your own. The GP will not break confidentiality by discussing your mother but will listen and should act upon what you say.

If you keep a diary of your mother`s behaviours for a couple of weeks and present it to the GP , it will give a better record than a verbal report.

I hope this helps.

Dear Grannie G,

Thank you for your reply and you have helped! Its true what you say about my parents. My dad wants to separate but feels my mum is his responsibility after 50 years of marriage I guess you would. I wish he would mean it and action it, even if this means I have to help him with the solicitor. But I know my mum will dig her heels in dispute it. She's only after the money and my dad is worth more to her if he dies in financial terms. Sad state of affairs. I just want to protect him from her and her manipulative ways.

Thanks, I need an outlet and TP may be it. I mentioned my mums behaviour to the memory clinic yesterday but they didn't care. I've also told my Dr about her behaviour and he is sympathetic but that's it. My mum is great at playing games and making it look like she is mentally fine. Even the social worker yesterday stated my mum seemed fine to her. At least she does not have to deal with it. She is seeking sympathy from anyone that will listen, neighbour etc telling everyone about her health problems and how she wants to die.

The social workers came round this afternoon. I hope they did not tell her the content of my dads appt yesterday or my mum will feed on it and provoke my dad. She is trying to talk to me but I have had enough....it will last a hour or two and then she will stop talking and totally blank me. I want to tell her not to bother talking to me agin, I'm so sick of her ways.

I am meeting a lady from the alzheimer's society next week, hopefully she will be able to help. Gosh I have a headache and feel so tired today, had a manic day and not had time to eat and I still have to do a million things before hand.

Thank you for listening.