OT visit

cake4tea

Jan 22, 2014
We had a visit from our council OT today with a view to see if we could get mom's home adapted after her operation. We really didn' t think we stood a chance but enquired about a stair lift and adaption to the bathroom. The very nice OT lady said as mom had a diagnosis of Alzheimer's as well, the council wouldn't agree to a stair lift. I wondered if anyone else had heard of this. The council if we get approval would only adapt the bathroom if we had a lift put in, or have living downstairs with our lounge being changed to mom's bedroom and an on-suite shower as well. This would mean we would be living in the kitchen as the lounge would be her bedroom etc.

We are now going to think what to do, or we could pay for the adaptions ourselves and have a stair lift and bathroom.

I just wondered if anyone else had come across this. I know our council is strapped for cash but it seems very expensive to me to want to put in a lift rather than a stair lift

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
We had a visit from our council OT today with a view to see if we could get mom's home adapted after her operation. We really didn' t think we stood a chance but enquired about a stair lift and adaption to the bathroom. The very nice OT lady said as mom had a diagnosis of Alzheimer's as well, the council wouldn't agree to a stair lift. I wondered if anyone else had heard of this. The council if we get approval would only adapt the bathroom if we had a lift put in, or have living downstairs with our lounge being changed to mom's bedroom and an on-suite shower as well. This would mean we would be living in the kitchen as the lounge would be her bedroom etc.

We are now going to think what to do, or we could pay for the adaptions ourselves and have a stair lift and bathroom.

I just wondered if anyone else had come across this. I know our council is strapped for cash but it seems very expensive to me to want to put in a lift rather than a stair lift

My husband used to work for a well known stairlift company and this information is correct. For PWD it is considered unsafe to use one without close supervision. This is because the person often confuses spatial awareness and distances and can step off the lift before it reaches the top or bottom causing themselves injuries. Or they cannot work the controls properly. This is common practice with councils