Opg

dulfin13

Jan 6, 2012
Can anyone tell me what steps to take to get someone out of the care of OPG??? (office of public guardian) I have someone who is under there "care" and they dont need it any longer. I cant seem to find help anywhere. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I would second the advice to call them. On this forum we are people (or their carers) who have a progressive disease (dementia) and they aren't, I'm afraid, going to recover capacity, so it's not somethign we've come across. I assume this is what has happened in your case. I know that it can be an issue when someone has had a traumatic brain injury and have fought their way back to health. I would imagine it would be necessary to apply to the court to have the (I assume a) deputyship rescinded.

I did find this

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governm...helaw/Makingdecisionsforsomeoneelse/DG_195271

AndyR

Sep 7, 2011
London
Hi Dulfin13

The OPG regulate deputies, who are appointed by the Court of Protection (COP).

It has been a few years now, since the OPG actually acted as deputies themselves (although I think they still do have a small number of cases), as it was seen as a conflict of interest to be a regulator of the industry, while still managing cases themselves.

Thus I suspect you might mean that another organisation or individual is acting as deputy for the person you mention?

If an individual regains mental capacity, then the assigned deputy is required by law to relinquish their deputyship of the individuals affairs.

Regards
Andy

Last edited by a moderator: