OPG visitor

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
Hi Saffie,

So glad it went well today, I've been thinking of you and had to come and check when I just did a simple sum and got it entirely wrong (700 x 12 = 14,000:D) Yes, I'm that bad so I really, really feel for anyone having to account for expenditure.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi
Glad it went well today
I hope your sleeping easier tonight
well I didnt expect that you would be told to spend some of Daves money

A new tv for Dave sounds good to me

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
well I didnt expect that you would be told to spend some of Daves money
Neither did I Lin. It's only to stop the LA assessing it as part of his capital as it's his allowance from them originally!The OPG visitor didn't seem any more enamoured of the LA than I am!:D

p.s. flowers still looking lovely!

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Hi Saffie,
Read your thread with interest & although I have no direct experience I have had a thought regarding a treat for Dave.
How about paying for an entertainer (musician, magician, exotic pets!) to come in to the CH. I know that in reality it won't just be for Dave but others will have the pleasure as well and something nice for you to be involved in too. Maybe you could justify it twice a year?
Lots of nice jolly pictures in a powerpoint presentation for OPG would go down a treat!:)
Just a thought.
- Twiddler

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
I took in lots of lovely DVD's which would go nicely with the new television get one with DVD built in. How about games, jigsaws, picture books or conversation cards everyone can share in?

Love Twiddles idea of an entertainer too. :)

Pleased the meeting went well.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
How about paying for an entertainer (musician, magician, exotic pets!) to come in to the CH. I know that in reality it won't just be for Dave but others will have the pleasure as well and something nice for you to be involved in too. Maybe you could justify it twice a year?
It's only hundreds I'm afraid and i know that the singers the home gets in costs over £300 per session and the home do a lot of that already, most of which Dave cannot be involved in. That is not what the OPG visitor meant. The money is only £25 a week and is for everyday necessities, but, as i explained, I haven't needed to spend that amount and put the rest in a BS current account for when Dave did need something and it has accumulated -only over less that a year! - but thanks anyway.

I took in lots of lovely DVD's which would go nicely with the new television get one with DVD built in. How about games, jigsaws, picture books or conversation cards everyone can share in?

Linda, I bought Dave a new DVD player when he was still self- funding and we buy lots of DVDs for him, especially Welsh rugby and choral ones. He honestly isn't deprived in any way! He has loads of his books in his room about Wales, rugby, animals - he was an educational volunteer at Marwell zoo for years after he took early retirement - but rarely looks at them, Games and puzzles and conversation cards are all in the lounge but he cannot manage to hold any sort of conversation and certainly can't play a game or do a puzzle, even the simple ones they have. He has a CD player with loads of CDs. He has a number of his special pictures on the wall, family photographs in frames, his model aircraft and cups he has won!

Thank you for your suggestions, it's so kind of you to take the trouble. I'm thinking of buying things to make his time in bed more comfortable. He has the special electric mattress, bed and chair and, as the OPG visitor said, all he needs medically really, but
there is a sheepskin (imitation of course)backrest I have seen and although he has a triangular pillow, this is his second, so might buy a supply of these too! Also, the bead filled rolly ones for his head in the chair - his gradually loses beads and lots of fleecy blankets, with and without the welsh dragon! If there is anything significant left after all this, I will buy him loads of pyjamas once I can find interlock ones with long sleeves - as yet I've only found them in Asda! (The carers don't like the traditional button up the front ones.) Oh - and more M&S joggers. I think I'm spent out!!!

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
All sounds good to me. My Vic too has no interest in all the things we mentioned and doesn't speak so we are in the same boat.

If ever you need anything from Wales I am in the North, just let me know.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
He'd hate it Polly - there aren't any either.
Yes, his chair is an electronic all singing and dancing chair but it's fixed by the OT so is a bit of a waste really. He's only in it for 4 hours a day. His needs are few and he sleeps a lot so comfort is the name of the game I think! Oh - and a new tele!

southlucia

Dec 19, 2011
I was reading through your thread just an hour ago Saffie, and was wondering when my first visit might be. I got CoP for my dad last October. By coincidence I have just had a call from a lady at the OPG arranging our first visit. Spooky! :eek:
She thought my dad was still at his care home - even though I had informed them, once he left there. I explained he was in an assessment unit and I was attending tomorrow for the DST. She suggested she meet me and my dad there. I was a bit horrified to be honest. I explained it wasn't the easiest of settings as there is no private area we could go to, to talk. She realised this wasn't an option and suggested meeting me at home. Phew!!
We had a meeting with the consultant yesterday, then tomorrow the DST. I couldn't have coped with that on top! I'm also rather relieved she is visiting on a Saturday. I do wonder at the moment how I manage to fit in earning a living.
I'm glad it all went well for you.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Hello there. I hope your OPG visitor is as helpful as mine was. I wish too, that I had had a visit as early into the deputyship as you are doing. It would have helped and reassured enormously.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lisapaul