Online screen system

Daughters concerns

Oct 20, 2022
Hello again

Social services have told me about a trial system they have for an online screen system. They think it might help mum.

It's a screen that's on all the time. Mum or I would just say hello and it would turn on, mum or I would respond and the camera turns on.
It sounds a bit like face time or Alexa with a camera.

I have said no at the moment because I was concerned about it being intrusive not just for mum but if I'm honest me as well!!

Has anyone else tried it or something similar? I'd be interested to know how it is.😊

ingrid

Sep 29, 2009
London
Hello again

Social services have told me about a trial system they have for an online screen system. They think it might help mum.

It's a screen that's on all the time. Mum or I would just say hello and it would turn on, mum or I would respond and the camera turns on.
It sounds a bit like face time or Alexa with a camera.

I have said no at the moment because I was concerned about it being intrusive not just for mum but if I'm honest me as well!!

Has anyone else tried it or something similar? I'd be interested to know how it is.😊
Hi, I've been using a system that sounds like this, called 'my home helper' which is a tablet you control remotely to add reminders, diary events, appointments etc. You can also make video calls to it and it connects automatically so the person doesn't have to remember how to work it or do anything. You can add whoever you want to have access, so it's not too intrusive. For my Dad I'm the only one with access, so he doesn't mind if my face suddenly pops up while he's watching telly or having his tea :)
It's only one way, as in he can't video call me back (he doesn't want to anyway) he still calls me on the phone as normal.

It's helped my Dad stay independent for longer, as it reminds him of things throughout the day like when to take his medication and to have enough drinks etc. This morning it reminded him to go to his dentist appointment and he's pleased with himself when he does 'normal' things and doesn't forget.

I make the messages personal and quite light-hearted. He says he feels more confident about what he's meant to do throughout the day without having to ask someone else every 5 minutes. I wasn't sure he'd like the video calls, he's a total technophobe and can barely work a remote control, but he loves seeing my face and we have a joke and laugh together...

Like most solutions, we never know how long it might be useful before the dementia moves on and you have to think of the next thing, but if your LA are offering you a trial for free there's nothing to lose? I hope it might be useful for your mum, even for a little while x

Daughters concerns

Oct 20, 2022
Hi, I've been using a system that sounds like this, called 'my home helper' which is a tablet you control remotely to add reminders, diary events, appointments etc. You can also make video calls to it and it connects automatically so the person doesn't have to remember how to work it or do anything. You can add whoever you want to have access, so it's not too intrusive. For my Dad I'm the only one with access, so he doesn't mind if my face suddenly pops up while he's watching telly or having his tea :)
It's only one way, as in he can't video call me back (he doesn't want to anyway) he still calls me on the phone as normal.

It's helped my Dad stay independent for longer, as it reminds him of things throughout the day like when to take his medication and to have enough drinks etc. This morning it reminded him to go to his dentist appointment and he's pleased with himself when he does 'normal' things and doesn't forget.

I make the messages personal and quite light-hearted. He says he feels more confident about what he's meant to do throughout the day without having to ask someone else every 5 minutes. I wasn't sure he'd like the video calls, he's a total technophobe and can barely work a remote control, but he loves seeing my face and we have a joke and laugh together...

Like most solutions, we never know how long it might be useful before the dementia moves on and you have to think of the next thing, but if your LA are offering you a trial for free there's nothing to lose? I hope it might be useful for your mum, even for a little while x
Hi there
Thanks for this.
With the reminders you've mentioned are these things that you video record yourself saying? Like dad you've got a dentist appointment today?

Or do you pop up each day and tell him/remind him?

It does sound interesting 😊👍

ingrid

Sep 29, 2009
London
Hi there
Thanks for this.
With the reminders you've mentioned are these things that you video record yourself saying? Like dad you've got a dentist appointment today?

Or do you pop up each day and tell him/remind him?

It does sound interesting 😊👍

The reminders/appointments etc are in a written form, so you set them up to appear at the times you want. There's a portal that I manage it from. I'm not able to attach a screenshot, but the website has a demo of how it works which might explain better than I can :) myhomehelper.co.uk

There are other systems too, such as Alcove Carephone, but I chose this one as it seemed the most passive and simple for my Dad.

And I paid for it myself, which is a big factor to consider when there is a risk it might not work for the person - but cheaper than me reducing days at work, or paying for carers when he's not quite yet at that stage of needs and just wants prompting. We'll probably get there soon, but it's given us an extra year or more of 'normalcy'

*Sigh, none of it is easy is it, let me know how you get on if you go ahead 👍🏽

Springiscoming

Feb 1, 2024
Another vote for myhomehelper. It’s cut down the number of repeat calls from mum about appointments, what day is bin day etc. it isn’t voice activated as such and tbh I haven’t used the video call facility yet just the messaging, but I’m glad we got it.