One to One Funding

sixy74

Jul 4, 2018
Hi Everyone

I've just returned from Dads care home and I have a question regarding funding.
I have just been told by the lady in charge of the residential side of the care home that in her opinion Dad has a high falls risk between 9am and 9pm so she has applied for one to one funding for him so that somebody will be with him during these times.
Can anyone explain to me how this funding works

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
It will depend how your Father’s care is funded.

If the LA are involved then they will have to agree to any increase in their contribution.

If your Father receives CHC funding then the NHS will have to agree to any increase required to cover a Carer each day.

If your Father is self funding then the cost would be added to his fees.

As the home have said they have applied for 1:1 funding I would imagine that it is the LA or CHC that are being asked to fund it.

sixy74

Jul 4, 2018
It will depend how your Father’s care is funded.

If the LA are involved then they will have to agree to any increase in their contribution.

If your Father receives CHC funding then the NHS will have to agree to any increase required to cover a Carer each day.

If your Father is self funding then the cost would be added to his fees.

As the home have said they have applied for 1:1 funding I would imagine that it is the LA or CHC that are being asked to fund it.
Hi
Thank you for your reply, at the moment Dad is receiving 28 day funded care then an assessment will take place , he will be LA funded as he has no savings etc, just a pension.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It's as Jaymor says, if the home are asking for funding then either he's LA or CHC funded otherwise they'd be asking you for the money.
I know that 3 residents who were a fall risk had a fall and ended up in hospital, when they were ready for discharge the home did an assessment and said they wouldn't take them back without a period of one to one, the LA wouldn't fund it and they went to another home that would take them without the one to one.
I suspect another woman may go this way fairly soon as she's a huge fall risk but won't stop walking , I literally caught her as she started to fall the other day and managed to stop her hitting the floor, her next trip to A&E will probably mean that the home won't take her back as my LA don't seem to fund one to one care even if the person is "bed blocking" in an NHS hospital but that costs the NHS money not social services.
If the home think your dad needs one to one and the LA won't fund it then they could ask you or the LA to move him, they can't keep someone and just wait for an accident to happen, although that's probably what's happening to the lady in care with my wife.
"Care Homes" is a bit of a generic phrase and what some care homes will take others won't, my wife's in an EMI nursing home and she's classed as a high fall risk, several of the other residents are too and the home will take people like this but some homes won't so I'd stay onside with the home as if they feel there is no other alternative they could ask him to leave.
People on here do get one to one funding so it can happen it's just that I've never actually seen it happen I've only seen it refused, one man's daughters were literally in tears as they came to clear his room for the move as he'd been there for a while and it was local for them unlike the new home. Good luck with the funding.
K

sixy74

Jul 4, 2018
It's as Jaymor says, if the home are asking for funding then either he's LA or CHC funded otherwise they'd be asking you for the money.
I know that 3 residents who were a fall risk had a fall and ended up in hospital, when they were ready for discharge the home did an assessment and said they wouldn't take them back without a period of one to one, the LA wouldn't fund it and they went to another home that would take them without the one to one.
I suspect another woman may go this way fairly soon as she's a huge fall risk but won't stop walking , I literally caught her as she started to fall the other day and managed to stop her hitting the floor, her next trip to A&E will probably mean that the home won't take her back as my LA don't seem to fund one to one care even if the person is "bed blocking" in an NHS hospital but that costs the NHS money not social services.
If the home think your dad needs one to one and the LA won't fund it then they could ask you or the LA to move him, they can't keep someone and just wait for an accident to happen, although that's probably what's happening to the lady in care with my wife.
"Care Homes" is a bit of a generic phrase and what some care homes will take others won't, my wife's in an EMI nursing home and she's classed as a high fall risk, several of the other residents are too and the home will take people like this but some homes won't so I'd stay onside with the home as if they feel there is no other alternative they could ask him to leave.
People on here do get one to one funding so it can happen it's just that I've never actually seen it happen I've only seen it refused, one man's daughters were literally in tears as they came to clear his room for the move as he'd been there for a while and it was local for them unlike the new home. Good luck with the funding.
K
Thank you

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
@sixy74 ,

If the LA refuse to pay then a third party could pay but it would be a large commitment. It would be 42 hours of extra care with the minimum wage being £7.90 (from memory) that means £332 per week. Maybe the LA will pay some towards it and ask for the third party to pay the rest. The carechome might be asking for more than the minimum wage too.

Keep everything crossed for a good outcome from the assessment meeting.