one day she will be really ill

Mumsmum

Oct 29, 2012
Scotland
Just need to vent my frustrations at dementia. We are constantly run ragged with mum saying she is ill, and us sorting out doctors. Over the last 2 weeks my husband has taken to mum to the doctors 5 times. On 3 occasions mum had got the time wrong, cancelled or changed the appointments so they were turned away, none of them the doctors fault. Once it was a follow up from a check up, and all results were clear so why didn't the doctor just let us know on the phone it was all clear. Friday mum said she was feeling so awful, she had never felt so bad in her life, and it wasn't like her to feel ill (I now keep a diary of how she feels, as I thought I was imagining how many times she complained as I found it so stressful, but no, it is more than once a day she says there is something or other wrong - cake is a good cure, but it is sometimes hard to take cake round when I am working!). Anyway, Friday it sounded serious, we got an emergency appointment, queued for over an hour, then when hubby took her in, she was fine, said she felt a bit tired and asked the doctor why he had called her in. It took hubby over 3 hours door to door for the trip on Friday, and he said he won't do it again. I have rung twice today, once she was fine, second time she said she'd gone down hill and was feeling ill and wondered if she should go to the doctors. I do worry mum will be struck off the doctors list because of the number of appointments she makes, misses and goes to. I have tried everything, and so has the doctor, but she has no memory of having been so makes other appointments. Sorry for the rant, just need to let off steam before I go round with cake and sympathy.

Lottie134

Jun 8, 2013
MIL was the same. It was usually a ploy to get OH up to hers, but we had to act just in case it was real. OH visited everyday anyway.
The amount of our time & the Drs which was wasted was unbelievable. It was so annoying. :mad:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Sounds like she's lonely. What is your relationship with the Dr like? - maybe a phone call from him would 'save her the journey'

Mumsmum

Oct 29, 2012
Scotland
Mum may be lonely, but sadly its dementia lonely in that she cant remember when she last saw anyone. Monday she has a companion, Tuesday my husband takes her out, Wednesday she has coffee with friends and a church social, Thursday keep fit, Friday a day out with friends, Saturday and Sunday with us, and she generally comes for tea or we take her out about 4 nights. On top of that hubby goes round a number of times during the week for shopping, fixing light bulbs, etc. But she tells people she sees us every two or three weeks as we are busy.
luckily the doctor does know us, and does call us, but mums memory is such she cant sort out if she has appointments or not.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marta B