Omezaprole.

Shem56

Aug 31, 2020
Good Afternoon lovely people. I wonder if anyone has any knowledge, or advice regarding Omezaprole. My husband has been prescribed this drug as he takes aspirin and blood pressure medications and he also suffers with acid reflux. He is waiting for an appointment for the memory clinic. A family member who works in a pharmacy has advised that it can cause memory problems. I wonder if anyone else is aware of this with Omezaprole.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My wife with LBD took aspirin and also had a sliding hiatus hernia, I queried the use of omeprazole because of mixed reports regarding dementia.

No mention, other than B12, in

and
For instance, omeprazole led to deterioration of visual and episodic memory, motor and mental response speed, new learning, short-term and sustained attention, retention and manipulation of visuospatial information, and strategy development

The result was carry on, it was needed because of the hernia and to counteract effects of aspirin on the gastric system.

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
Hi @Shem56 My friend takes Omeprazole for acid reflux, (after years of using Gaviscon!) and has no memory problems- she does not have dementia either. The listed side effects for this drug do not mention memory problems.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
The number of studies done on this subject might tend to suggest there is some connection with PPI’s and impairment of cognition, but as yet nothing that definitively proves it. All drugs carry some risk of side effects, so you have to weigh up the risks versus the benefits as best you can.

I did see one Swedish study that said these drugs are safe but should be used with care for the cognitively impaired - lowest effective dose and only as necessary. But as always with these things they say more research is needed.

I did notice that one of the American studies mentioned that people can stay on medications for much longer than necessary, which I think is a fair point. Repeat prescriptions with little or no monitoring of symptoms is certainly common in my own experience.

edit: for clarification added the words “these drugs are safe”.

Last edited:

Shem56

Aug 31, 2020
The number of studies done on this subject might tend to suggest there is some connection with PPI’s and impairment of cognition, but as yet nothing that definitively proves it. All drugs carry some risk of side effects, so you have to weigh up the risks versus the benefits as best you can.

I did see one Swedish study that said these drugs are safe but should be used with care for the cognitively impaired - lowest effective dose and only as necessary. But as always with these things they say more research is needed.

I did notice that one of the American studies mentioned that people can stay on medications for much longer than necessary, which I think is a fair point. Repeat prescriptions with little or no monitoring of symptoms is certainly common in my own experience.

edit: for clarification added the words “these drugs are safe”.
I think we will stick with Gaviscon only for now. I've also seen that constipation could be caused with acid reflux and my husband does suffer badly with that also.

Shem56

Aug 31, 2020
Hi @Shem56 My friend takes Omeprazole for acid reflux, (after years of using Gaviscon!) and has no memory problems- she does not have dementia either. The listed side effects for this drug do not mention memory problems.
I think we will err on the side of caution and stick to Gaviscon.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My dad has just been prescribed this for his stomach. Dad is anaemic and doctor was thinking it could be due to all the other medication he is prescribed ( bp tablets etc). He thinks it could be contraindications of them.