Oh What to do ??

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Oh what to do ?

There was a time we all retired at 60 and 65 and I have to say when I was first diagnosed I always said that if I was lucky enough to live that long I would do the same at 65. Well, on one hand I am pleased to say I am still here, but I have now just passed that birthday and still working (in my own way, blogging and raising awareness about dementia) so what now? Do I retire at the NEW age of 66?? This will give me just one more year, if my illness allows me, to do as much as possible and then sail off into the sunset with Elaine on a boat called DIGNITY (I WISH LOL) well, you know what I mean, but it’s definitely something to think about.

Nobody lives forever and I have dedicated 13 years of my life to raising awareness, speaking at conferences, blogging in newspapers and magazines, and creating organisations, which I hope will carry on the work long after I am gone, writing books, writing songs, opening memory café`s worldwide, creating the Mp3 campaign here in the UK, and a little bit more so there is so much to think about in the next year. One the one hand something deep deep inside tells me there is so much yet to do, and their certainly is!! But should I, next year step completely back and spend more time with my one and only love (besides my kids that is) Elaine? Or just carry on doing what i do?
The feedback from the M3s and zooms I do worldwide and the looks on peoples Facebook at the memory cafes raises my spirits so much and spurs me onto do so much more, and yet, sometimes I get so very very tired, confused and just want to sit on an island with Elaine and watch the sun go down. So, certainly a lot to think about over the coming months,

Should I stay or should I go??

Just love that song LOL xxxx

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
Oh Norms I do appreciate your dilemma. I am 4 years older than you, with depression and arthritis and caring for my husband with Alzheimer's. The things I have been involved with through my church have not been anywhere near as full on as you but I too have been wondering whether to give up doing all of them. What I have started to do, however, is to gradually step back from things, delegating to others. Is that something you could do rather than stop everything all at once?

ScaredyCat

Mar 31, 2019
I think maybe what has helped you is having a purpose in life and this purpose has been your work about dementia. Would losing this purpose in life speed up your decline? Maybe only semi retire and make sure your extra time with Elaine is spent in the same meaningful way?