Odd behaviour when awake during the night

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
I posted before as my husband has memory issues and refused to see his gp or discuss he has a problem. He is 81 and usually goes to sleep by 11.30 pm usually fall asleep quickly. He does get up about three times at night to use toilet as he has a weak bladder. My concern is he has episode of confusion sometimes when he is awake e.g he does not think this is his house and who lives there or whether his mum is sleeping next door. I can talk to him and he will respond, the episode does not last long and will go quickly back to bed and fall asleep again In the morning he will have no recollection what he told me and said he must have been dreaming. Does not believe what he did when I told him what he said. It seems to be like sleep walking. I am thinking of sundowning but this episode usually happen after he has been sleeping and woke up usually about 1.30 am. Can anybody relate pl? It’s not physical as all his blood tests came back normal. I do think he needs to have a brain scan but how to get him to agree to one. I have been telling him all the 80 yrs need to have a health check for dementia screening and he said he does not want one. Apart from these short episodes which freaked me out when it happens and him getting up to use toilet, he has no problems going back to sleep. It does not happen every night. I slept in the spare bedroom for a few days but found out it is better if I sleep in the same room and can reassure him and he goes back to bed immediately fall asleep quickly and leave me awake. I have issues falling asleep. Can anybody relate. Thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
This does sound like sundowning.

My mum used to be up and down all night waking me up because she could her "noises in the kitchen", but then in the morning would swear blind that she had slept all through the night!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Jan48.

I can certainly relate as I have the exact issue with my wife.

My situation was eased (not eliminated) by tweaks to my wife's meds so it may help if you can get your husband to the GP.

Would your GP assist by sending a letter asking your husband to go in for a general check-up (which could then include a MMSE). Sometimes people will refuse a relative but obey the GP.

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
Hello @Jan48.

I can certainly relate as I have the exact issue with my wife.

My situation was eased (not eliminated) by tweaks to my wife's meds so it may help if you can get your husband to the GP.

Would your GP assist by sending a letter asking your husband to go in for a general check-up (which could then include a MMSE). Sometimes people will refuse a relative but obey the GP.
Thanks it might help if I get the gp to send him a letter inviting him for a check up and we can take it from there. He is physically in good health and hate going to see gp.

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
I posted before as my husband has memory issues and refused to see his gp or discuss he has a problem. He is 81 and usually goes to sleep by 11.30 pm usually fall asleep quickly. He does get up about three times at night to use toilet as he has a weak bladder. My concern is he has episode of confusion sometimes when he is awake e.g he does not think this is his house and who lives there or whether his mum is sleeping next door. I can talk to him and he will respond, the episode does not last long and will go quickly back to bed and fall asleep again In the morning he will have no recollection what he told me and said he must have been dreaming. Does not believe what he did when I told him what he said. It seems to be like sleep walking. I am thinking of sundowning but this episode usually happen after he has been sleeping and woke up usually about 1.30 am. Can anybody relate pl? It’s not physical as all his blood tests came back normal. I do think he needs to have a brain scan but how to get him to agree to one. I have been telling him all the 80 yrs need to have a health check for dementia screening and he said he does not want one. Apart from these short episodes which freaked me out when it happens and him getting up to use toilet, he has no problems going back to sleep. It does not happen every night. I slept in the spare bedroom for a few days but found out it is better if I sleep in the same room and can reassure him and he goes back to bed immediately fall asleep quickly and leave me awake. I have issues falling asleep. Can anybody relate. Thanks
I can definitely relate.
My husband does have a diagnosis of dementia since 2018.
Despite other problems, he did sleep quite well until May. I used to get up really early and did all sorts even decorating a room when it was light early, walked the dog, relaxed - until he woke up around 7.30 am.
It’s difficult now in a similar way to your situation. He is restless and noisy - shouting every few minutes as if he’s been startled from around 1 am, needs a wee then cant get into bed, can’t stand being touched and paces…but similarly it’s as if he’s sleep walking.
(It must be because he hardly ever falls asleep during the day and somehow he’s refreshed! Unlike me…)
A point comes when he’s actually awake and he’s smiley, knows where he is etc and our day starts even though I’ve been awake most of the night.
He now has Melatonin, gradually increasing dose, but sadly making no difference.
Of all the things that are happening, this interrupted sleep is what’s breaking me.
Your husband might respond to Melatonin as I gather a lot of people do so hope somehow you can get your GP to help even without a dementia diagnosis.
Good luck x

Bevbee

Mar 4, 2023
I can definitely relate.
My husband does have a diagnosis of dementia since 2018.
Despite other problems, he did sleep quite well until May. I used to get up really early and did all sorts even decorating a room when it was light early, walked the dog, relaxed - until he woke up around 7.30 am.
It’s difficult now in a similar way to your situation. He is restless and noisy - shouting every few minutes as if he’s been startled from around 1 am, needs a wee then cant get into bed, can’t stand being touched and paces…but similarly it’s as if he’s sleep walking.
(It must be because he hardly ever falls asleep during the day and somehow he’s refreshed! Unlike me…)
A point comes when he’s actually awake and he’s smiley, knows where he is etc and our day starts even though I’ve been awake most of the night.
He now has Melatonin, gradually increasing dose, but sadly making no difference.
Of all the things that are happening, this interrupted sleep is what’s breaking me.
Your husband might respond to Melatonin as I gather a lot of people do so hope somehow you can get your GP to help even without a dementia diagnosis.
Good luck x
My dad is the same he is 86 and has lived with myself and my partner for 9 years his dementia has been getting worse these past 18 months, I only have to leave his side and he is shouting me and he doesn’t know why or what for when I ask why he has shouted me.
His night times are the worst for me , up all day and 3 hours sleep if I’m lucky at night , he pulls out his catheter so he’s wet and he’s restless all the time doesn’t know where he is can’t work anything out in his head and is fanatical about mathematical works in his head ? It’s driving me crazy.
He’s constantly hungry but does not always eat his meals , he is constantly pulling his catheter and causing trauma the district nurse is my new best friend lol
It’s night time that’s my worst time dad is oblivious too it all next day he swears he’s had a good night !!

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
My husband wakes up numerous times from 4.00am onwards saying 'I've got to get up' or 'I've got to go home'. I find if I can keep him in bed and just say 'no, it's too early' he's fine and goes back to sleep. If he gets out of bed, it's a nightmare. Again, he is refreshed when he wakes up and doesn't remember anything and says I was dreaming or I'm trying to say he's 'going mad' (his words, not mine).