Obtaining a blue badge

Andy Beatty

Dec 2, 2023
My wife has mixed dementia vascular and Alzheimers and I have been advised by Essex County Council that I need to getsome authorisation to obtain a blue badge from the medical team who made the diagnosis as my GP practice is insufficient. I have called the memory assessment and support services team only to be told that I must contact my GP in the first instance. Very frustrating as my wife's mobility is getting more difficult.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
@Andy Beatty , sorry to hear that you’re having to jump through hoops, as if life isn’t difficult enough.

When your wife was diagnosed did you get any letter from the memory clinical which gave the diagnosis? That may suffice. If you’ve not had one then you should go back to them or maybe they wrote to your GP.

Good luck with this.

DawnR

Sep 14, 2022
Northumberland
@Andy Beatty I had the same problem with my application.
I used carers Northumberland to get a letter of support which was accepted by the council and my blue badge was approved.
There should be similar support in your area. Good luck it shouldn’t be so hard to get the help you need.

Whiskers184

Oct 19, 2020
@Andy Beatty we have recently been approved for a blue badge for my mother in law who has mid stage dementia and osteoporosis arthritis. We didn’t have to provide any letters from the GP but did have the assistance of someone from Age UK (the same person who helped with attendance allowance application and she suggested that we apply for the blue badge at the same time). We think that the wording used by the person from Age UK was the helpful element in the application as they are used to writing what is required by the local councils. It took a while (about 3/4 months ) to come through but was actually one of the easier tasks we have faced.