NZ rules on care payments?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
i know we have some NZ members so would appreciate comments. Johns nephew in the Wellington area has been obliged to place his mother in a care home after two strokes, broken hip and vas dementia. He is a good and loving son but now has a dilemma not unfamiliar here in the UK. He owns the half of their house left to him by his father who died of Alzheimer’s. The son has been supporting them both so I don’t think he has much in the way of funds.

The authorities say he must now sell the house and invest his mothers half so as to get the best interest which must go towards her care. I have suggested he pay rent on his mothers half, equivalent to what would be earned in interest. He seems under pressure to sell. Any experience on this from our NZ members.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I'll pass that link on to him Nitram. He seems to have been in touch with a lot of people including a solicitor but is in a bit of a bind. He can get a good price for the house because of the area they are in but couldn't then afford to buy another in that area. As his mother is in a local care home and he is her only relative he can't really move to another area. His Mum is Italian and old age has reduced her English so she needs him there.

A problem in all corners of the world it seems.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If the property is debt free another option could be for him to buy her share using a loan from a mortgage.company.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Thanks all. I’ll pass on your comments. He is an only child and no other relatives within reach so ideas are what he needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77