Nursing home food

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Brilliant Eddie.

The only comment I have about care home food is that some get confused as to what they are being given. Mum thought that anything pale and squiggy was tripe and wants to throw it on the floor.

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Eddie, you should be doing training sessions for every cook in every nursing home.

the only problem would be to find another you to cook in your home:):)

Actually I think you should be giving training sessions to all the staff in every home.

Make a training DVD !!!

Well done Eddie for making a huge impact.

JackMac

Jun 26, 2010
west midlands
You are amazing! I don't know what else to say but you are amazing!!!!!!! You now need to open a training school for all chefs working in nursing homes:)

hang on, I have got something else to say................I worked in a nursing home years ago, and the way you are doing things should actually lighten the carers workload. This is because normally all residents eat at the same time and it can be quiet chaotic. What you are doing is making the place more like HOME! God, it's so amazing, I am going to tell my family about you tomorrow. Can we get you on the news? You can set the standard throughout the whole country............and then take on the world he he!

jackmac

Last edited:

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Eddie......

My Mum's favourite food is...... seconds lol. Seriously until about four weeks ago she had an incredible appetite all the more amazing as she is a tiny lady of 4fft 10.
She particularly loves spaghetti bolognese - though pasta bolognese is easier to battle with, and then lots of the old traditionals like tripe and onions, sheperds pie (that one comes up a lot) and anther major favourite - home made chicken soup!
There is a home Cornwall which has implemented a lot of work with regard to improving the dining expercne of clients and I remeber them telling me it's importatn to use a lot of red in a dining room as it stimulates the appetite in dementia sufferers.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Eddie,

You're not up for one of those awards are you, that I read about recently?

If so .................. bring on the steamed syrup sponge!!

eddiemorris

Apr 28, 2011
Widnes
New menu

Hi all,
Now that the new breakfast concept is in place and working really well (basically room service) I have now decided to take it a stage further. From tomorrow the attached nenu will be available and our residents, or a family member can choose anything from the menu on a daily basis, I am trying to give them a wider variety of choice. We also have a snack menu and a finger food menu. I have done away with the hot trollies and every dish that leaves the kitchen is now plated up.
If this proves to be successful the next and probably most difficult step will be on educating the carers to provide our residents with a unique dining experience, the hardest thing will be changing the carers perceptions of how it should be done.

Last edited:

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Originally Posted by Marilyn2

Is there any way we can clone you, Eddie and one "Eddie" can be moved to my mother's NH?
Eddie replied:

I wish that I could

So do I, and I am sure many more. You sound an absolute marvel.

My husband has only been in a care home a few weeks, I have had a few meals with him :eek: Enough said......

Loo

Marilyn2

Jan 6, 2011
During our last visit a member of staff brought my mother's supper - reconstituted vegetable? (maybe) soup, a cup of orange squash, cold ravioli in tomato sauce from a tin and a slice of cold quiche (not home made) that was totally anaemic (it looked like it had been defrosted and served without browning it in an oven) and some pink ice cream.

It all looked totally unappetising and we found it impossible to encourage Mum to eat it as we certainly wouldn't have found it appealing either. She ate very little and drank neither the soup or squash. We were told that she had a main meal of a baked potato with cheese and a salad earlier in the day which she had eaten and enjoyed - easy to prepare and hard to get that to look revolting I suppose .... This was the first time we had seen a meal at the NH and we were not impressed.

eddiemorris

Apr 28, 2011
Widnes
During our last visit a member of staff brought my mother's supper - reconstituted vegetable? (maybe) soup, a cup of orange squash, cold ravioli in tomato sauce from a tin and a slice of cold quiche (not home made) that was totally anaemic (it looked like it had been defrosted and served without browning it in an oven) and some pink ice cream.

It all looked totally unappetising and we found it impossible to encourage Mum to eat it as we certainly wouldn't have found it appealing either. She ate very little and drank neither the soup or squash. We were told that she had a main meal of a baked potato with cheese and a salad earlier in the day which she had eaten and enjoyed - easy to prepare and hard to get that to look revolting I suppose .... This was the first time we had seen a meal at the NH and we were not impressed.

How awful, presentation of the food is so important, its easy to understand why so many residents in care homes lose weight.

Last edited:

cookiehawk

Apr 11, 2012
norfolk
care home food

Hi all - I found this forum completely by accident while researching for a new job that I have in a care home here in Norfolk. Like Eddie, I am a NVQ level 3 chef who want to care through food but need information from relatives (as well as talking to the residents for whom I will cook for) to try and find out what to cook for them. It seems that the stuff I would like to eat (and so think they will like to eat!) sometime just isn't right! I have looked through all your comments on this thread and have found some great tips and hints. Thanks to all.

cookiehawk

Apr 11, 2012
norfolk
Hi all,
Now that the new breakfast concept is in place and working really well (basically room service) I have now decided to take it a stage further. From tomorrow the attached nenu will be available and our residents, or a family member can choose anything from the menu on a daily basis, I am trying to give them a wider variety of choice. We also have a snack menu and a finger food menu. I have done away with the hot trollies and every dish that leaves the kitchen is now plated up.
If this proves to be successful the next and probably most difficult step will be on educating the carers to provide our residents with a unique dining experience, the hardest thing will be changing the carers perceptions of how it should be done.

Eddie - this sound fantastic! How's it going?

MrsBushy

Dec 6, 2022
Hi all,
I am a chef in a nursing home dealing with clients with EMI and dementia, I was wondering if anyone would like to contribute to our new summer menu with ideas based on thier own experiences. I am a NVQ 3 qualified chef with a vast experience of working in restaurants, however I have found developing menus for my clients in the home very challenging, I currently cook all meals from scratch using fresh ingredients and provide as many snacks as I possibly can, any help would be much appreciated and would greatly benefit the elderly residents in our home.
Thanks
Eddie
Hi I’m a retired carehome chef, 😃 I had a stroke last year and can’t multitask anymore, so I also have to be supervised to cook, so I got retired.

Quiche is always a winner and can also be mushed down if someone had a soft diet, and you can chnage the filling and do it a couple times a week,
Cheese and potato pie topped with cheese
Fish pie
Sausage casserole
Chicken and veg pie
Lamb and spring veg hotpot
3 cheese macaroni

I’ll dig out my recipe book and send you some more. 😃

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member