Not sure whether to tell!

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I will not be considered for surgery whilst I have OH to look after, so I took that as correct.
Surely not, and I think you have found out that is not correct. Your health and well-being is priority for obvious reasons and the second doctor should be able to help and give advice about SSs. I am sure others on TP will have more information.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I need surgery on both knees and am currently in a lot of pain and not sleeping well. One doctor at our surgery has told me I will not be considered for surgery whilst I have OH to look after, so I took that as correct.
I must admit my jaw dropped when I read that.
I read somewhere about The Carer's Trust dealing with carers having to go into hospital but I'm not sure if that only covers emergencies.
But you can't have your own health suffer. I would speak to another doctor if I was you.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Should I start finding a home that is nursing and dementia as he needs both, now, so things are prepared for when I have surgery, or do I phone Social Services and see what they say?
Mum was self-funding and also never went in for respite, so I dont know the answer to your question, but I would have thought that you would have to contact SS and organise it through them. There is nothing stopping you from going to look at care homes and asking about respite, top-ups etc just to get a feel of things, though.
One doctor at our surgery has told me I will not be considered for surgery whilst I have OH to look after, so I took that as correct.
That made my jaw drop a bit too. Im glad you are seeing a different doctor

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
That is ridiculous! It’s the consultant who will have the say as to when your knees are ready for operation. See them! Get your knee exercises and do them, they do help, both before and with recovery.
If he needs a home now, start looking at some, though if you are not self funding, get in touch with SS as well.

Anyway, if both of you have to go into care/ recouperation, see how much more that would cost the NHS.

My OH was not diagnosed when I had surgery, though he definately had some form of dementia, and his dau came to look after him for a few days when I had my knee done. He managed the period while I was having hip done by himself. Not to be recommended is moving house 3 weeks post op!

Of course I was kept in hospital longer than patients are these days, but with ready meals, supermarket deliveries, it shouldn’t be so difficult! You don’t have to do a full house clean everyday!

Good luck, anyway.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kylauk