Not sure we're here, but maybe?

Diotima

Dec 21, 2023
Hi, everyone,

I've been lurking for months, and it's finally time to post. My husband and I have been caring for my 85 yo FIL in our home since August. For a year and a half before that, either my husband or our paramedic son were his full-time caregivers in FIL's home.

I'm not sure exactly when FIL was diagnosed. It was "mild cognitive impairment" a few years (5, maybe?) ago, but FIL resists seeing doctors, so we didn't get the official dementia diagnosis until last month. It was terribly clear, of course, just unofficial.

I'm here because while we can see that he's at the end of Stage 6, maybe early stage 7, we're a bit at a loss to know where he's headed in terms of EOL. We think it's mixed vascular / Alz, but he's refused the testing that would let us know for sure. We think he's in better shape mentally/cognitively than he is physically, and it seems like it's the other way around for most people. I thought maybe someone here might have had a similar experience and could help signpost us.

FIL is mostly not eating solid food. Some days none at all, some days one or two bites at most, and not at every meal. He drinks Ensure, around 1-5 a day, it really varies. He says he has no problems swallowing, but we think he does, at least a little. He can feed himself, but just barely. His hands shake so much that he needs both hands to get a cup to his mouth, and on bad days, we think he's not safe with a fork. He does not want us to hand feed him.

He's emaciated, approx 112 lbs on a six foot frame. He's always been slim and lanky, but now his BMI is around 15.5.

He doesn't speak much, but he can when he wants to. His personality is mostly intact, will crack a joke or make wry comments a few times a week. His memory is as expected, can't tell night from day, isn't always sure whose house he's in, still recognizes us and my SIL, but is very foggy on the grandkids.

He can walk, usually with a cane, but he's very shaky and he shuffles. He can get in / out of bed on his own but chairs are harder. He can mostly put his own clothes on / off but doesn't choose them well or fasten things properly. Has gone out with one sneaker and one slipper on when we didn't notice soon enough, etc.

Continence-wise, he's had a few accidents (both kinds) and he mostly urinates in the bathroom sink. Even with support bars and a seat riser, getting on / off the toilet is difficult.

He sleeps 16 - 20 hours a day most days.

My main question is about how thin he is, how little he eats and what this means for EOL. When we look at him, we don't think he'll see another Christmas, but there's so much individual variance that we're a bit at a loss.

He's going into a care home this month, and we're trying to work out the finances, which is why it's important to get a sense of how long he might have. More than a year? More than two? Five? The decisions we have to make for 2 vs. 5 are vastly different. I think we may be looking at 2-6 months, but that's a gut feel and I'm out of my depth.

He is steadfastly refusing medication (e.g. Aricept) and most medical care, something we will try to honor as much as we can. He's said for years (decades, really) that he doesn't want to live in the sort of state he's currently in.

I know nobody can tell us for sure, but it would help greatly to hear some comparisons.

There's so much empathy and kindness here. You don't know how helpful you've all already been for me as I've lurked and read your posts over the past several months. Thank you so much, and thank you in advance for any comments to come. :)

Dia

P.S. If this post doesn't belong in EOL, so sorry, and please feel free to move it.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The trouble is, @Diotima , that there simply is no knowing how long he has got left. He may indeed, last no longer than a couple of months before he suddenly goes downhill, but people have survived for several years in this state too. When mum first moved into her care home I thought she would only last about 6 months, too, but in fact she lived there for just shy of three years.

I know that it makes a big difference to finances and I realise that it would be so much better if we could have an idea of how long things will go on for, but unfortunately, we just dont
xx

Diotima

Dec 21, 2023
Thank you.

We've seen a lot of deterioration in the last six months. So hard to try to plan, but I guess that's just how it is.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Sadly the adage of how long is a piece of string comes to mind. Mum went into the nursing home from hospital just over 5 years ago. At the time we thought she had 6 - 12months left maximum, and she is still here. We have had the "talk" with the nurses at the home a few times now when we thought that she was approaching the end and each time she has rallied. Lord knows what keeps her going.

trus

Dec 28, 2023
Hi, everyone,

I've been lurking for months, and it's finally time to post. My husband and I have been caring for my 85 yo FIL in our home since August. For a year and a half before that, either my husband or our paramedic son were his full-time caregivers in FIL's home.

I'm not sure exactly when FIL was diagnosed. It was "mild cognitive impairment" a few years (5, maybe?) ago, but FIL resists seeing doctors, so we didn't get the official dementia diagnosis until last month. It was terribly clear, of course, just unofficial.

I'm here because while we can see that he's at the end of Stage 6, maybe early stage 7, we're a bit at a loss to know where he's headed in terms of EOL. We think it's mixed vascular / Alz, but he's refused the testing that would let us know for sure. We think he's in better shape mentally/cognitively than he is physically, and it seems like it's the other way around for most people. I thought maybe someone here might have had a similar experience and could help signpost us.

FIL is mostly not eating solid food. Some days none at all, some days one or two bites at most, and not at every meal. He drinks Ensure, around 1-5 a day, it really varies. He says he has no problems swallowing, but we think he does, at least a little. He can feed himself, but just barely. His hands shake so much that he needs both hands to get a cup to his mouth, and on bad days, we think he's not safe with a fork. He does not want us to hand feed him.

He's emaciated, approx 112 lbs on a six foot frame. He's always been slim and lanky, but now his BMI is around 15.5.

He doesn't speak much, but he can when he wants to. His personality is mostly intact, will crack a joke or make wry comments a few times a week. His memory is as expected, can't tell night from day, isn't always sure whose house he's in, still recognizes us and my SIL, but is very foggy on the grandkids.

He can walk, usually with a cane, but he's very shaky and he shuffles. He can get in / out of bed on his own but chairs are harder. He can mostly put his own clothes on / off but doesn't choose them well or fasten things properly. Has gone out with one sneaker and one slipper on when we didn't notice soon enough, etc.

Continence-wise, he's had a few accidents (both kinds) and he mostly urinates in the bathroom sink. Even with support bars and a seat riser, getting on / off the toilet is difficult.

He sleeps 16 - 20 hours a day most days.

My main question is about how thin he is, how little he eats and what this means for EOL. When we look at him, we don't think he'll see another Christmas, but there's so much individual variance that we're a bit at a loss.

He's going into a care home this month, and we're trying to work out the finances, which is why it's important to get a sense of how long he might have. More than a year? More than two? Five? The decisions we have to make for 2 vs. 5 are vastly different. I think we may be looking at 2-6 months, but that's a gut feel and I'm out of my depth.

He is steadfastly refusing medication (e.g. Aricept) and most medical care, something we will try to honor as much as we can. He's said for years (decades, really) that he doesn't want to live in the sort of state he's currently in.

I know nobody can tell us for sure, but it would help greatly to hear some comparisons.

There's so much empathy and kindness here. You don't know how helpful you've all already been for me as I've lurked and read your posts over the past several months. Thank you so much, and thank you in advance for any comments to come. :)

Dia

P.S. If this post doesn't belong in EOL, so sorry, and please feel free to move it.
Hi there and welcome
Your FIL sounds so similar to my MIL on so many levels. She was probably at that mobility level a year ago. Eating back then was much better than your FILs though. We said goodbye to her 3 times in the last year and everytjme she sprung back.

She now has to be moved by hoist only and can barely use her hands, especially left one. Double incontinent but has asked for toilet out of nowhere yesterday. She usually has poor appetite and drinks very little, not enough for sure. But last 3 days she suddenly switched to a good appetite and eats 3 small meals a day with snacks.
We are also wondering how long she will go on like this but having gone through the rollecoaster of saying goodbye we are now taking it one day at a time.. its a nightmare not knowing for sure.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Diotima and welcome from coming into the forum from the 'lurking' stage as you put it. I'm very glad you have.
I am sorry to read of your Father in law. It's very tough at this stage and I do feel for you.
My own Mum went down, rallied, went down, rallied and then went down and never rallied again. There is just no knowing as others have said, I'm afraid.
Now that you have joined us, do stay with us as members here really do want to help, and they do understand, which is so important I think, in bringing a little bit of comfort. Wishing yiu strength.

luggy

Jan 25, 2023
Hi @Diotima

I'm sorry that you have reached this stage with your Father in Law. All I can do is reiterate what others have already posted. No-one can really predict, or even give an approximate indication, of when the end may come - not even the professionals. There are so many variables and unknown factors to take into account.

My mum has been at End Stage for almost 3 years, during which time a hospital doctor and 2 GP's have declared her to be EOL, and each time she has rallied. Mum is in a pitiful state and is now on a dementia unit in a nursing home. For 3 years, mum has been bed-ridden, spoon fed, is doubly incontinent, unable to communicate or do anything for herself. Mum has also been having seizures, is painfully thin and eats very little. It's so difficult to comprehend how anyone can survive for so long in such an awful state.

I have tended to be very stressed with the situation, but I'm slowly learning to accept it for what it is. What will be, will be. I've realised that there is little point in trying to plan for an outcome we have very little control over. Although they are quite rare, there are still occasional glimmers of positivity from the person we once knew and loved, so I try to focus on those instead.

Wishing you the best.

Eare

Jan 15, 2024
Hi @Diotima

I'm sorry that you have reached this stage with your Father in Law. All I can do is reiterate what others have already posted. No-one can really predict, or even give an approximate indication, of when the end may come - not even the professionals. There are so many variables and unknown factors to take into account.

My mum has been at End Stage for almost 3 years, during which time a hospital doctor and 2 GP's have declared her to be EOL, and each time she has rallied. Mum is in a pitiful state and is now on a dementia unit in a nursing home. For 3 years, mum has been bed-ridden, spoon fed, is doubly incontinent, unable to communicate or do anything for herself. Mum has also been having seizures, is painfully thin and eats very little. It's so difficult to comprehend how anyone can survive for so long in such an awful state.

I have tended to be very stressed with the situation, but I'm slowly learning to accept it for what it is. What will be, will be. I've realised that there is little point in trying to plan for an outcome we have very little control over. Although they are quite rare, there are still occasional glimmers of positivity from the person we once knew and loved, so I try to focus on those instead.

Wishing you the best.
My mum is in the same state only she is home. I have been told she was EOL over 2 years ago. I had a chat with the district nurse who said to expect her to get worse. What can be worse than the state she is in? She does eat when she remembers how to open her mouth but that's about it. She doesn't drink anymore and spits it out. I put lots of fluid in her food. My problem is the guilt that I feel when she doesn't want to eat. The palliative team would tell me to only give her what she wants when she wants it but if she doesn't want it I feel bad like I am contributing to her demise. Is that what we are supposed to do. Just leave it to mum and go with the flow? Some days she looks like she won't last 10 minutes but here she is over 2 years later still going in this awful sorry state. Keep her comfortable is what we have been told to do and we do our best to do that and I hope she is comfortable but it is a living nightmare to watch.

luggy

Jan 25, 2023
My mum is in the same state only she is home. I have been told she was EOL over 2 years ago. I had a chat with the district nurse who said to expect her to get worse. What can be worse than the state she is in? She does eat when she remembers how to open her mouth but that's about it. She doesn't drink anymore and spits it out. I put lots of fluid in her food. My problem is the guilt that I feel when she doesn't want to eat. The palliative team would tell me to only give her what she wants when she wants it but if she doesn't want it I feel bad like I am contributing to her demise. Is that what we are supposed to do. Just leave it to mum and go with the flow? Some days she looks like she won't last 10 minutes but here she is over 2 years later still going in this awful sorry state. Keep her comfortable is what we have been told to do and we do our best to do that and I hope she is comfortable but it is a living nightmare to watch.
I am so sorry that you are experiencing this too. You are doing your best and that is all you can do. Make sure that the palliative team and other professionals continue to advise and support you.

My thoughts are with you x