Not happy with care home

merlin

Aug 2, 2006
Surrey
Laundry

Hi May and hendy

May, thanks for the advice re bras I,ll give them a try.

Hendy, forgot to mention I also take a "housewife" ie a sewing kit. About the most usefull thing I learnt to use during my national service!

Merlin

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
More thanks to everyone.

All mum's clothes are labelled, apart from tights. Yes strange clothing has appeared in her room which she now thinks is hers. I did an inventory when she arrived, but things change, new clothes bought, old ones taken away and there is no list anywhere to update.

I have made friends with the laundry lady, but clean laundry is sorted by the night staff - it is in the sorting that it goes missing. Or by whoever puts it back in her room.

Mum's clothes are not clean anyway, she doesn't really bother, so I don't either, but I think staff should be suggesting that certain things get washed rather than leaving it to mum. She is quite capable of wearing the same knickers for a week, the same bra, and not washing a skirt for six months.

I can't do it face to face, it will have to be a letter to the manager. Friendly, if I can manage it.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Margaret

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
What do I do? Some of you reading this will know that I am no good at complaining. I am really not. ....... ...Of course it is not just the washing, it is other things, like she still has a broken toilet seat, I am still not notified when the doctor is called,

Just an idea - but tell the home you are introducing your own 'system' .... keep a clipboard with a three column sheet (or several! :rolleyes:) in mum's room for recording comments and queries where all staff can see it .... Date raised.... what the comment or concern is ...... and last column for when it has been resolved ....... (bind it and have it page numbered if you don't trust them enough to pretend they haven't seen certain pages!!!)

Make it something nice that you can record compliments on too so that it doesn't just look like a 'moan log' ..... and you will have a record of how long issues have been outstanding or how many times you have raised them ...... might also help you see all the good points about the place every time you raise a compliment .... then when you have a 'face to face' review (not a meeting to discuss complaints) you have an objective picture to discuss and avoid confrontation ...... (me I go straight for confrontation! :eek:)

Confess not used this in a Care Home setting before - but it sure has worked elsewhere for me! ;) - must remember to follow my own advice! :D

I must say - some absolute fabulous tips on this thread which I will be bearing in mind myself ......:)

Love, Karen, x

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Karen, good idea, in fact the previous manager was going to instigate a book by the front door for all families to raise queries/problems (and as you say, give compliments), but it never happened and I'm not sure people would like to see everyone elses complaints.

I'll try to think of adapting this if possible.

Margaret

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Thanks all

It seems I am not alone. Some useful hints. I will bear them all in mind. Hope the rest of you have got something useful out of this thread too.

Margaret