Not getting up

Showmino

Feb 4, 2019
Hi, my MiL is 92 and diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and VD about 18 months ago. She lives on her own but has carers coming in at breakfast and lunchtime to give medicines and offer a meal and drinks. At the moment she prepares her own microwave meal in the evening. She gets herself up and dressed but I suspect that washing is becoming more of a rare occurrence!

My question is about her staying in bed all morning now. She is often still in bed when the lunchtime carer arrives now. She has her breakfast in bed and think that the carers have sometimes started giving her lunch in bed too. She goes to bed around 10 (if we stay over she does this spontaneously) and appears to sleep all night and morning. She will also sleep in her chair when she is up, just watching tv and the birds outside when awake. We visit three days a week and she is usually asleep whatever time we come.

My question is whether we should speak to the care team to see if they can encourage her to get up after breakfast, or failing that to strongly encourage that she gets up for her lunch. Up till now they haven’t had to encourage washing but wonder if that should start also. My MiL does get annoyed at ‘bossy’ carers (!) but wonder if we could use love lies about the doctors saying she must get up.

So wondering if we should accept this is how things are currently and that she will sleep a lot or if we should try to alter this pattern that is developing? Thanks for any advice. I read lots of the posts here which are incredibly helpful !

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Showmino

My dad slept a lot as his dementia got worse. He was often asleep when I arrived and I suspect he was probably sleeping about 20 hours a day by the end.

His carers would get him out of bed and washed and dressed in clean clothes (or clean pjs if he was feeling poorly) and he'd have his breakfast and then fall to sleep in his chair.

I would ask the carers to ensure that your mum is clean and wearing clean clothes if possible. You could try love lies but I'm not sure that anything will make her sleep less.

My dad would sleep more if he was under the weather so it might be worth taking her for a checkup.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Showmino yes same with my dad. I got him out of bed around 10 this morning, gave him his breakfast and now he is asleep in his chair. He will sleep all day except for when I wake him for a drink or meal.

He would stay in bed all day if I let him but I think he should get up while he is able to.

He will liven up a bit in the evening and watch some quiz shows until bed then he will sleep like a log.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother went through several sleeping phases. I asked them to try and get her up but if she didn't want to (and she could be quite nasty about it), to simply make sure she drank enough fluids.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Showmino

At the wonderful age of 92 and with dementia too, perhaps your mil deserves breakfast in bed and a lie in. It isn't affecting her nightly sleep so she must need it.
She sounds amazing to me if she is still able to prepare a microwave meal and get herself dressed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marta B