Not feeling well

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
Every day I speak to my Mum ((90) and on a waiting list (38 weeks for memory clinic so maybe next March)), she says she doesn’t feel well but doesn’t have any specific symptoms. Doesn’t accept there is anything wrong (scored 1/10 on GP screening).
GP went to visit (on a day when I wasn’t there) and basically said she couldn’t get any sense out of her - I said - try being me!
I feel like she may need a check but they are resistant as she is housebound. I also don’t want to waste their time. Do you think her ‘not feeling well’ is a type of recognition of the dementia? Anyone had similar experience?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Do you think her ‘not feeling well’ is a type of recognition of the dementia? Anyone had similar experience?
Yes, My MIL did exactly the same. She would say that she felt "so poorly". She was checked quite thoroughly and nothing was ever found and I always thought that even though she did not believe that she had anything wrong with her beyond a "bad memory", nevertheless she was aware at times that something was wrong. It would also regularly happen in the evening and I do wonder if it was part of sundowning.

DollyM1

Dec 21, 2022
Every day I speak to my Mum ((90) and on a waiting list (38 weeks for memory clinic so maybe next March)), she says she doesn’t feel well but doesn’t have any specific symptoms. Doesn’t accept there is anything wrong (scored 1/10 on GP screening).
GP went to visit (on a day when I wasn’t there) and basically said she couldn’t get any sense out of her - I said - try being me!
I feel like she may need a check but they are resistant as she is housebound. I also don’t want to waste their time. Do you think her ‘not feeling well’ is a type of recognition of the dementia? Anyone had similar
That’s really interesting to read as last year, just before my dad was diagnosed with mixed dementia with atypical Alzheimer’s, he kept saying he was really ill. So much so that he was ringing family and friends saying he was dying. A year later and we regularly get I’m not well.

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
Yes, My MIL did exactly the same. She would say that she felt "so poorly". She was checked quite thoroughly and nothing was ever found and I always thought that even though she did not believe that she had anything wrong with her beyond a "bad memory", nevertheless she was aware at times that something was wrong. It would also regularly happen in the evening and I do wonder if it was part of sundowning.
Maybe - I always call on the way home from work so early evening. Someone else telephones her every morning - I might ask them if she mentions it. She has had recent extensive blood tests and they were all fine so you could be right!

try again

Jun 21, 2018
I'd hope the basic health checks were done. It's too easy to dismiss what a PWD is saying.
I did it once with mum when she told me her chest was hurting, a few days later a shingles rash had appeared