Not enough interest

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
My husband has Alzheimer's and is 63. He goes to a couple of groups but he doesn't seem that interested in the activities, such as craft work and games. Not enough seems to interest him generally too is this a sign of depression or quite common?

Reds

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My husband cannot remember a single thing that he has done at day centre or even what he has eaten. In fact he can't remember he has been there at all and told me today he had just come from the airport.

Nevertheless I know he enjoys it while he is there because I have visited occasionally and just stood out of sight and watched him chat with ladies and other gents. He is best with people who are compos mentis although polite to all. He joins in with whatever they suggest.

Treat his groups as a break for you and his enjoyment a plus if and when it happens.

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
My husband has Alzheimer's and is 63. He goes to a couple of groups but he doesn't seem that interested in the activities, such as craft work and games. Not enough seems to interest him generally too is this a sign of depression or quite common?

Reds

Hello. I can see where you might be concerned that the stimulation is insufficient for a person of 63 years. Are there televisions in the centers where you take him? Would they consider putting on a DVD or video of animals or birds in your vicinity? My mother, in late stage, has become fascinated with the birdlife. If the staffers could devise a project around seeing living creatures, this might help stimulate his interest.

We use live feeder cameras here at home. She currently had two laptops in front of her with two different feederwatches on. Her caregiver reviews with her the different kinds of birds and uses the bird books to offer more information. They giggle when a squirrel shows up, etc.

It is very possible he has depression, but my guess is that the staff could perhaps try to find something more interesting to do, too?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
At some point there is not much some people don't want to do anymore. Have you spoken to the day centre, or visited for half a day? In OH's Day centre there are some people who frankly don't do anything anymore even though the staff do their best to create interest. My OH needs to be cajoled into doing certain things. When he's doing them, he enjoys them but he wouldn't have started them by himself. But I do know he enjoys being there. Bear in mind also that a lot of PWDs need a lot of rest during the day which is why a good Day centre also has quiet areas, and TVs away from the main area.