• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can access this area by going to the Health and wellbeing forum >here< or you can directly access the area >here<.

Not eligible for a Needs Assesment


New member
Feb 16, 2019
My mother lives with me, a long and complex story involving my sister emigrating and selling the flat mum rented. She moved in with me temporarily. 20 years on, with mild to moderate Alzheimer’s and increasing violence toward me, mum needs her own place more than ever. (I work f/t). But. Patchy and slow though it is, she can wash, dress, prepare meals (sort of, sequencing shot), shop, she’s difficult, and changes her mind about where she wants to be physically located. (Near me, back to roots in Wales). As well as violence, she’s verbally unpleasant to me. Short of “tricking” her into moving, i.e. arranging without her knowledge, taking her and leaving her (brother’s suggestion), I am at a loss to know what to do and am considering giving up work due to difficulties and stress. If I had ages, I’d outlined all the people I’ve been in contact with today, all the people we see, i.e. dementia doctor, family therapist (to help us get on better...), Dementia Hub (mum won’t attend anything), and. I’m considering giving up work as I can’t cope and she’s not eligible for that Needs Assessment. And, several years apart, I’ve spent the night in a police cell as a result of her violence, as we had to be separated. I work with kids, so can’t risk my DBS. I don’t know where to go from here.


Registered User
Dec 26, 2018
Does she have to live with you? If she is already violent and you give up your job you will be even more vulnerable. Contact social work and explain that you will be requiring her to leave in 28 days' time. Ask what the options are and what you can do to help to provide a smooth transition into her new accommodation. Its wonderful that she is so self sufficient that she doesn't qualify for a needs assessment. Maybe she can go into sheltered housing? You can be honest, her living with you doesn't work and you need her to have her own space. Social work can negotiate with her where she chooses to live.

I think you will find that they are more keen to support you if the alternative is that they have to house and care for her, but in reality it sounds like you have done enough, so stop!


Registered User
Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
May I suggest that this state of affairs cannot continue and it may be an idea that you speak to the experts on the helpline, details as follows

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday
9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Live on-line advice is also available in the UK and you can see the details of that if you follow this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline/live-online-advice


Registered User
Mar 25, 2016
I’m considering giving up work as I can’t cope and she’s not eligible for that Needs Assessment.
When you say your Mother is 'not eligible' for a care needs assessment do you mean that she has had an assessment but wasn't eligible for any help, or that the local authority have refused to carry out a needs assessment?

Under section 9(3) of the 2014 Care Act local authorities have a legal obligation to carry out a needs assessment when requested. If they are refusing to carry out an assessment refer them to the Care Act. If they have previously carried out an assessment and advised at the time that your Mother was not eligible for any help, request a new assessment letting them know that she is verbally & physically aggressive. You are also entitled to a Carer's Assessment. As mentioned above, the Helpline will also be able to advise you on the best way forward as you need to consider your own safety.

(3) The duty to carry out a needs assessment applies regardless of the authority’s view of—

(a)the level of the adult’s needs for care and support, or

(b)the level of the adult’s financial resources.